Chapter 76 - Battle of Hogwarts Pt 3

Benjamin, Seamus and I had made our way to the other side of the Courtyard to defend the bridge which was sending more and more dark side supporters to the school.

"Incendio!" I yelled at a group of Snatchers that ran up to us. Benjamin struck them with an explosion charm at the same time, killing most of them in one go.

"Blimey, that's supposed to be my job", Seamus blinked a few times. I chuckled as we had a moment of rest.

"Oh no", Benjamin suddenly gasped, looking in the distance. Behind the quidditch pitch, a black cloud doomed upon Hogwarts. It didn't take long for me to realise that it was no cloud, but a group of Dementors.

I broke out into a sprint, jumping over the broken bannister, ducking to avoid a curse sent my way by a Death Eater. Seamus stunned the cloaked man as the two followed close behind me. We ran around the Courtyard, then jumping through one of the openings onto the Hogwarts grounds.

"That was Lavender Brown", Seamus yelled at Benjamin. "She's dead." I didn't know Lavender very well. I don't think I ever even talked to her at all, but somehow her death pained me. She was a seventeen-year old-girl, and now she was gone. Her parents would have to mourn for her death. No parents should have to go through something like that.

We approached the quidditch field where the group of dementors was already arriving. We noticed a few students already casting their patronus. I noticed Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang and another one of Benji's friends whose name I didn't know.

"Expecto Patronum!" I yelled and pointed my wand at the cloaked creatures, mouths agape to steal the lives of innocent children.

I closed my eyes as the tip of my wand slowly lit up, casting a blue light upon its environment. I thought of Draco. I hadn't seen him in so long, what if he got hurt? I had to look for him once these Dementors were defeated. I had to know if he was okay.

"There are more of them, we can't hold them!" Benji yelled. I opened my eyes to see at least a dozen more Death Eaters joining the others.

"Yes we can", I shouted, grabbing my wand with both hands. Happy thoughts, they don't like happy thoughts. So I thought of Draco, and of Tracey and Daphne. I thought of Daphne's face when she told me about Felix and about Tracey and Blaise flirting in the common room. I thought of Seamus's face when Benji introduced us two years ago and of dress shopping with Narcissa.

Narcissa, was she okay? My mother was gone, but she had always been more of a mother to me. I hoped that she was okay, even though she wasn't on our side. I hoped she'd forgive me for choosing a different path and I hoped that she wouldn't be angry at Draco. If anything, she could be mad at me for influencing Draco so much, but I knew that after all of this, he'd need the support of his mother. She just had to be okay.

"We can't do this for much longer", Seamus shouted, hands shaking as his fox tried to fend off the dementors, but there were too many. I looked around to see everyone struggling. We needed more help. I quickly broke my Patronus to cast the Periculum charm, sending a flash of red light towards the school. When I looked back, a Dementor was staring me right in the eyes.

I gasped and fell backwards onto the damp grass. I quickly grabbed my wand as the intense cold the Dementor brought with them sent chills down my spine.

"Expecto Patronum", I muttered and a soft blue light swirled upward, towards the Dementor that was hovering over me. I felt unwell, as if I could pass out at any second, but I knew it was simply because of the presence of a Dementor. I had read enough about them over the past years.

I brought my second hand up to my wand and closed my eyes, imagining the day in the summer, with Daphne, Tracey, Blaise, Theo, Benji and Draco. How everything seemed just fine. The weather was nice and all my friends were there and it was a nice break from the sadness at Malfoy Manor. I was completely happy.