[ 28 ] the formal

THE FORMAL

         ASPEN got ready for the dance with Allison, the two of them did each other's hair and pampered one another with makeup

They had taken a trip to Macy's the previous day, both of them picking out gorgeous satin dresses. They had bumped into the strawberry blonde there, Allison traded niceties with her, while Aspen kept her distance.

It wasn't that she felt guilty for hooking up with Jackson, but she also wasn't too sure how to talk to the Martin girl now. Not that she did before.

The dress she had picked out was a wine-red one, it was the first one she put on and instantly discarded of the rest of her pile. If it was possible to marry a dress, she would've done it right then and there.

"I swear to God, Asp, Jackson and Stiles are going to be ripping each other's throats out over you tonight." Aspen whistled teasingly.

"Well... Stiles had his chance." the brunette replied as she looked at her reflection in the mirror.

She had had time to wrap her head around Stiles' confession. It was something she'd been wanting to hear for years, for as long as she could remember, but now that she had?

She couldn't stop thinking about the fact that it took him seeing her with someone else to finally notice her. Was that supposed to be romantic in his own Stiles-like way? Because the more she pondered on it, the more it almost lost it's sentiment.

He had to see her happy with someone else for him to finally notice.

How was that fair to her? Did that mean that if it wasn't for Jackson, he never would've seen his feelings for her?

The raven-haired girl walked across Aspen's bedroom to the brunette, looking at her in the reflection in front of them.

"I see the way you look at him, Aspen." she said, "it's the same way I look at Scott."

Aspen let out a pent up sigh.

"But..." Allison continued, "You deserve to be someone's first choice."

Aspen smiled at her in the mirror,

"Not to sound like that corny chic in every coming of age move ever made, but... follow your heart." said the Argent girl, twirling one of Aspen's perfect curls around her finger and giving her a supportive smile.

"If I'm following my heart, I'm pretty sure I know where it'll take me," Aspen sighed again. "I just don't know if that's where I want to go anymore, at least not right now."

"You don't feel like your time is right?" Allison replied, knowing which boy she was talking about.

"He's been playing with my feelings for years..." she said, "I love him, I think I always will... but when the time is right, I need to know that I'm not just his backup."