Chapter 5

Harry seemed to be everywhere after he and Louis' discussion. At the grocery store, in the school bathroom, even at Burger Girl. Somehow, Louis found himself not loathing his existence.

"Are you coming to the game tonight? It's the last one of the season, you know," Harry asked when he sat down in his seat next to Louis in their 'creative' class, which Stan now referred to it as.

And... oh. It was the last game of the season. Louis had been distracted recently, trying to figure out what Liam and Zayn were planning for his birthday in a few days, that he barely even noticed it was the last day of school before winter break. More specifically, the last Friday, meaning that it was, in fact, the last football game of the school year.

"Oh, I'm not sure. I'll have to ask Liam," Louis replied after a short pause.

"You better be there. I expect to see you cheering me on from your signature spot at the top of the bleachers," Harry joked.

Louis gave a small chuckle in response, not bothering to question how the hell Harry knew they sat up there. Surely he couldn't see them all the way up there from the middle of the field, right? Or maybe Louis was just overthinking. Niall was friends with Liam and Zayn. Right. That's how Harry knew.

Harry and Louis cracked a few jokes throughout class, which had become a common occurrence somehow ever since the November incident, and the end of the day approached quickly.

"I'll see you tonight," Harry affirmed with a wink as he made to leave class. Louis didn't even get to reply before Harry was out the door.

***

"What do you mean you 'can't go'? What are you doing instead?" Louis asked Liam exasperatedly over the phone.

"I mean I can't go, Lou. I have to go to my uncle's house tonight. Ask Zayn, I'm sure he's going," Liam explained. Louis sighed loudly.

"But it'd be weird with just me and Zayn. You're always with us!"

"Well then suck it up, buttercup. Why do you want to go so bad, anyway?"

Louis stilled his fidgeting fingers for a second. He really didn't have a good reason that didn't have anything to do with a certain pesky football player. But if he told Liam that he was going because Harry told him to, then Liam would take it the wrong way.

"Just want to. It's the last game, Li. Can't you reschedule family time? It's, like, the most important game of the year," Louis finally answered.

"No can do. Also, the most important game is-"

"Whatever, Lima Bean. I'll ask Zayn, then, since you're a party-pooper. Have fun at your uncle's," Louis interrupted.

"Whatever, asshole. Don't drool too hard over the football boys."

Louis gagged before hanging up. He sent a text to Zayn, who replied saying he could pick Louis up.

He laid in bed staring at the ceiling for a few more minutes until he got up to take a shower. He stood under the hot water long enough for his fingertips to turn pruny before getting out and running downstairs for dinner.

"Well, hello, Louis. Nice of you to crawl out of your pigsty of a room for once," Lottie greeted as he entered the kitchen.

"Shut up, Lots. I'm a very busy man. Loads of work to do. I require an immense amount of beauty sleep. How do you think I keep my good looks under all the stress of schoolwork?"

Lottie gave him a death glare, only to be interrupted by Jay barging in through the front door carrying four wine bottles. She looked up at Louis and Lottie, who were both glued to their places with their eyebrows raised comically high.