Chapter 08

Charlie sat in the kitchen with Mrs Winters, while Jessica spent some time with her new puppy River. Mrs Winter's made Charlie a drink of tea, sitting down opposite him. He took a couple of sips, while Mrs Winters watched him.

"What did I miss something?" Charlie asked

"I knew you'd forgotten," Mrs Winters said, "Your trip to Egypt, with your family?" Mrs Winters told him, Charlie covered his mouth sighing

"What I am supposed to do about Jessica, I can't leave her here," Charlie said

"Well you have two days to figure something out," Mrs Winters said, Charlie thought about what to do. He knew he couldn't leave her at the sanctuary, she'll probably end up injuring herself, and he knew the Ministry wouldn't approve if he left her unattended.

Jessica meanwhile, was playing with her puppy, actually finding her to be really calming and fun to be around. Charlie had told her to try and train River, but all Jessica had done was play. Mainly throwing a ball for her to go and fetch. River bounced after the fall, sometimes tripping when she reached the ball.

Charlie leaned on the door frame, watching Jessica play fetch with the puppy. Unconsciously smiling at her, the puppy barked a little, causing Jessica to chuckle at River. Jessica picked her up cuddling River and allowing her to lick all over her face.

"I guess she's your new best friend now," Charlie said, still smiling.

"She so adorable, I can't thank you enough for her," Jessica said, bouncing her puppy up and down like a newborn baby.

"I was wondering if you wanted to have dinner with me," Charlie asked, Jessica place River down on the ground.

"After we see to the Augurey, of course," he added, placing his hands in his pockets, shuffling his feet.

"Like a date?" Jessica asked.

"No, just friends, unless... no just as a thank you for helping out," Charlie said, Jessica smiled nodding.

Jessica left the living room, River following behind wagging her tail happily spinning around in attempts to catch her tail, Jessica chuckled at the silly pup. Jessica got changed, heading to the holding pen. Where the Augurey was being kept while he was recovering from his injury.

Charlie was already there, examining his wing, Jessica sat on a bench just outside of the holding pen, waiting for instructions from Charlie. But he seemed to preoccupied with the Augurey to have even noticed that she was sat there. Charlie looked around him.

"Oh good, can you have the scissors," Charlie asked,

Jessica picked a pair of small scissors from the medical kit, handing them to Charlie, he carefully held the Augurey's wing, cutting through the bandage, careful not to cut his feathers. He took his wand, pointing it at the Augurey's wing.

"Ferula!" he cast,

Fresh bandages wrapped the Augurey's wing, the Augurey ruffled his feathers, when Charlie let him go. Charlie left the Augurey's holding pen. Collecting the medical kit, heading back into the house. Jessica followed him, he had already cooked dinner.

"I hope you like pasta," Charlie said

"Yeah, it smells delicious," Jessica said, sitting down at the table.

Charlie plated them both a plate of Pasta, it was his mother's recipe she made sure that he knew how to cook a few things, and pasta was simple, but the sauce was his grandmother's recipe that she had taught to his mother. Jessica took a bite, her eyes widened.

"This is incredible, I didn't know you could cook," Jessica said

"Thanks, it's mums recipe," Charlie told her,

"You have a big family don't you, I remember your brother Bill from school," Jessica said, hoping the evening wouldn't get awkward if they stayed silent.

"Yeah, five brothers and a sister, what about you have any brothers or sisters," Charlie asked

"No, just me and my dad," Jessica said, Charlie creased his brows.

"What about your mum?" he asked

"She died when I was seven," Jessica told him,

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know-

"It's fine, she was scared of animals too. Mother like daughter I guess," she smiled,

Jessica didn't remember much about her mother, but few things stuck out to her. She remembers her being petrified of the neighbour's dog, so much so she wouldn't go into the garden if the dog was outside.

"I need to tell you something," Charlie said, Jessica breath got caught in her chest. 'Oh no he was going to bring it up'

"What is it?" she asked trying not to sound nervous.

"I forgot about my family's trip to Egypt, and under Ministry's rule I can't leave here with you unattended even if Mrs Winters is here," Charlie began to explain, she didn't know where he was going with this.

"So, if you're comfortable then you can come with me," Charlie said,

"And if I don't go with you," she asked

"I'll have to cancel my trip," Charlie said, looking visibly upset about it.

"I've always wanted to go to Egypt," Jessica said

"Thank you," he said, placing his hand on hers. He smiled at her, he moved his hand, turning back to eating.

"So, tell me if you weren't here what would you be doing?" Jessica asked, to avoid falling into silence.

"I love it here, I wouldn't change it, but I hope to one day go travelling and taking some of these animals back home," he said, smiling to herself, "back where they belong,"

"Isn't there any that can go with us to Egypt?" Jessica asked, Charlie thought for a moment, clicking his fingers

"Yes, there is, there's a bird that could go back to Egypt, we'll take her with us,"

Jessica smiled at him, she couldn't help but admire his determination with these animals. He wanted to do so much even though he was only 21 years old, he planned to take these animals back to their homes and set them free.