008

august 25th, 2020
4:17 pm

THIS MOVIE WAS EVEN MORE BORING THAN PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Brandon and Sunday were sitting on his couch in his dorm room, his laptop placed between them.

The two had finished the movie required for their class about an hour ago and were now watching the next one on the list.

The screen was colorful with The Wizard of Oz and Sunday was lightly humming along to the songs.

Sure that she wasn't looking, Brandon ran his eyes over her appearance, his chin in his hand, noting the green paint stained on her fingers on both hands, how brown her skin was and the freckles on her cheeks and nose.

"The wicked witch of the west is another character with anti-semitic tropes. You see the hooked nose, the exaggerated obsession over something of value?" Sunday asked, breaking Brandon's concentration.

Brandon blinked, "Huh?"

"You just wanna fail this class, huh?" Sunday snickered.

"Man, stop wishing that shit on me," Brandon sunk down into the cushion, a little his gaze on her.

Sunday simply shook her head as she took a handful of popcorn from the bowl in her lap, "I'm trying to help you." She said with a snicker.

Sunday visibly shuddered, "Is your room always this cold? Damn, where's the heat?"

Brandon sat up and lifted his arm, "Come on 'cause I don't have any blankets right now."

Sunday blinked, her eyes on the space under his arm.

"I'm not gonna bite or nothing, ma." Brandon rolled his eyes.

Sunday moved the popcorn and the laptop to the other side of her and then slowly slid over to Brandon's side.

Brandon rested his arm over her shoulders and across her torso as the two continued the movie.

"Okay, so if Count Orlok reminds you of Elmo, what character does the scarecrow remind you of?" Sunday asked.

Brandon studied the screen, "Hmm, you remember that nigga Cailou?"

Sunday leaned into him a little with a laugh, "Oh my god. The bald cartoon character?"

"Okay, hear me out, right? The nose and the eyes are similar, they look just alike." Brandon explained, "All the scarecrow has to do is sing the theme song and I swear they would be same person."

"BJ, you're a trip." Sunday laughed again, covering her mouth.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket, making Brandon and Sunday feel it.

When she pulled it out, Brandon could see that there was an Instagram notification from someone named Zion.

Just like at lunch, Sunday's mood shifted noticeably and a dark shadow casted over her face.

"You good?" Brandon asked in a low tone.

Sunday nodded but Brandon could tell that once again, she was lying.

He tapped his finger on the spacebar, "What's going on, ma?"

"If I talk about it I'm gonna cry and I told myself that I would stop." Sunday replied.

"My mama always told me that it's better to let it out then let it eat you up." Brandon advised.

Sunday was quiet for so long that Brandon was afraid that he overstepped then she coughed.

"I... I was dating this guy from back home. We've known each other our whole lives but we started dating our freshman year of high school. We broke up before... Well no, scratch that. He dumped me before we left for college." Sunday's voice was low and broken.

"Did he say why?" Brandon tightened his hold on her ever so slightly.

"He told me that he thinks we've been together too long and he wants to see other people. Three years and eight months just down the drain. Like we didn't matter." Sunday sat up and lifted a hand to her right eye and when she pulled it off, the back of her hand was visibly wet.

Brandon sighed quietly, "My ex broke up with me for the same reason."

Sunday turned and looked at him with a curious expression.

"She's back in California and she thought we wouldn't make it." Brandon continued quietly.

Sunday furrowed her brows, "I thought you were from Atlanta?"

"I am but I spent my senior year out there for basketball," Brandon explained, "Me and her... We weren't together as long as you and ole dude were but..."

"It doesn't make it any less painful." Sunday finished with a nod of her head.

"It gets better. I swear." Brandon said in a solemn tone, "I don't get why you won't block him or at the very least unfollow him."

"I can't bring myself to. I keep thinking that if I like his pictures, view his story, it'll keep me in his mind and maybe I can... I don't know. Saying it out loud makes it sound stupid." Sunday pushed her hair out of her face then readjusted her glasses.

Brandon shook his head, "No, it doesn't. If that's how you feel then that's how you feel and it's valid."

Sunday tilted her head a little, "Are you sure that you shouldn't major in psychiatry instead? You'd be a great therapist."

Brandon kissed his teeth but smiled, "Whatever, ma."

Sunday squeezed herself next to him again, "It's mad cold in this room still," Then she wrapped Brandon's long arm across the front of her body and tapped the space bar to continue the movie.

"You know..." Sunday trailed off, "I'm watching and I think that the Cowardly Lion looks a little like Dora. What do you think?"

"Hmm," Brandon hummed, "It's more like that fruit girl."

"Strawberry Shortcake?" Sunday's voice went up in pitch.

"Yeah! Exactly!" Brandon exclaimed.

"Aight, you loud as fuck in my ear," Sunday said as she settled more into his side.

"My bad, ma." Brandon snickered as their attention turned back to the old musical.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!