CHAPTER TWENTY

THE WAVES lapped at the pillars of the dock as I observed the progress of the preparations. The wet wood trembled underfoot and sprayed cold salt mist into the stiff breeze.

The sailors bustled about loading the various crates, boxes, barrels, and bags of provisions with an efficiency that boasted years of experience. As they made their way up and down the gangplank they yelled commands to each other that only they and their fellow mariners understood. Just a few more crates to go and we would be ready for departure. The distinct clink of metal on metal rang in my ears as the boxes of swords made their way up the gangplank and below the deck of the three-masted ship that would take us to our destination.

Seagulls hopped around underfoot, calling to each other above the noise of the foot traffic and another usual maritime bustling about, occasionally coming to rest on a coil of rope or a casting pillar to observe the men as they worked.

I made my way up the gangplank and onto the deck. I let my hawk-like eyes sweep over our accommodations for the next two days. The commotion of the dock slowly migrated onto the ship as the last of the provisions were loaded. At the corner of my eye, I noticed a dazed and restless Prince pacing along the railing. I could tell his shifting eyes didn't notice me standing in his pathway or the rope that was slowly coiling around his ankles.

I quickly took a step forward out of his way as the rope caught hold of him, sending him stumbling, his arms cycling, towards the railing that would inevitably result in him falling overboard. 

I reached behind me and grabbed hold of the back of his collar, "Please don't fall overboard. Your mother isn't very pleased that you're here in the first place, I don't need to give her any reason to kill me."

Prince Grey chuckled nervously, "Sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention."

I pulled him upright by his collar and set him on his feet, "And why aren't you paying attention? You seem nervous."

I let go of his collar and he suddenly became very interested in his fingernails, "The only ship I've ever been on was dry docked. Put it on the water, it's a whole different story. It's easier said than done."

I completely understood how he was feeling. Flashes of my early preteen years brought to mind the anxiety I felt the first time sailing a ship as well. I took a deep breath and thought of the most comforting thing I could think to say, "You'll be fine, you're grown. This is the first and possibly the last chance you'll have. Make it worth it, use it wisely." I slapped him on the shoulder. It felt like an appropriate gesture at the moment, but the force I delivered set him off balance. I guess I overestimated his strength.

He chuckled unsurely and nodded, "Okay, yeah. I'll do that."

Prince Grey wandered off to converse with the sailors as Leland and Evander made their way up the gangplank. Evander was making efforts to look valiant, but Leland already looked green around the edges. They were followed by the rest of our small traveling party. Leland had helped me select a handful of men who would be helpful on our mission. I made sure nobody from the team that needed work on hand-eye coordination came with us on this particular mission. The last thing I needed was having to mount a search and rescue, or god forbid, a recovery mission because someone fell overboard.

August came up the gangplank with his hand-made recurve bow looped over his shoulder, along with a quiver of arrows. He was followed by a man with the best sense of direction I've ever seen, Gareth. He is a strong part of the army and I knew he would help tremendously.