Promise

It was cold. Colder than I remembered. I didn't know if it was the winter or fear that chilled my blood more and the heavy furs upon my bed didn't keep me warm.

I was exhausted by another escape from the Snatchers, but there was no hope of sleep tonight. It wasn't our chamber that we slept in. Our new home was an old tent, expanded with magic inside. We were now in the middle of a frozen forest to the north, surrounded by all the possible protective spells we had. This constant escape and chase were difficult, especially with the twins, who had already begun to crawl and explore the world curiously.

After Dumbledore's death, everything around us seemed to fall apart piece by piece. They killed Moody shortly after that. On 1 August 1997, the Death Eaters seized control of the Ministry. Scrimgeour was murdered and Pius Thickness, whom Corban Yaxley had under the Imperius Curse, was installed as Voldemort's puppet Minister of Magic. Kingsley managed to warn us of the coup by sending his Patronus to the Burrow, where Bill and Fleur's reception was being held. Death Eaters stormed the wedding looking for Harry. Various of us were interrogated, but none were killed. In the meantime, Harry had vanished along with Hermione and Ron. Since then we had almost no news of him, what he was doing and where he was. We knew he was doing something that Dumbledore had given him before he died, but we had no idea what it was. He had flatly refused the help of Sirius and Remus. The fewer people knew, the better - that what he said.

While Voldemort controlled the Ministry, the Order members were fugitives. The Weasleys were kept under heavy surveillance, as they were known to associate with Harry. The Taboo curse was placed upon Voldemort's name since only enemies of the Dark Lord were willing to speak it aloud. This caused Kingsley and Sirius to nearly be captured after saying the name but they managed to fight off the Death Eaters that attacked them and went on the run.

Voldemort and the Death Eaters were not afraid of anything. They were pursued Muggles, Muggle-borns, and all with the suspicion that they had no magic blood. An informal organization of so-called Snatchers was set up, whose task was to arrest such people, but also all those who considered for traitors. Remus and I were just that - traitors, members of the Order of the Phoenix, prominent followers of Dumbledore's ideas, and defenders of Harry Potter.

The Order led the underground resistance, participating in the radio programme Potterwatch, which broadcast the truth while the Daily Prophet and other news outlets were controlled by the corrupted Ministry. The Order encouraged people to do as they were doing — protect innocent Muggles from being harmed for the amusement of Death Eaters, and Muggle-borns who were being persecuted by the Ministry's new Muggle-born Registration Commission. They also encouraged the wizarding community to stay strong and united, especially in such dark times. Fred, Remus, Sirius and Kingsley appeared in Potterwatch as correspondents.

A muffled sound pulled me back into the present and I gripped my wand. The twins slept quietly in their cribs, Remus had to be on watch somewhere outside. I couldn't stay in this tent.

I stepped lightly to the entrance and listened. All I heard was the pounding of my own heart. I gripped the wand tight when I went out in the freezing February cold. I peered into the dark not sure where was Remus. He had to be nearby. I surveyed my surroundings. The night was black as pitch save for the embers dying in the firepit and a sliver of moonlight sneaking through the bare branches. I could barely make out the figure leaning against a nearby tree.

"Rem?" I finally whispered. I didn't recognise my own voice. It was hoarse and dry. Fear, cold and sudden warmth seemed to pinch my vocal cords.

The figure didn't move. I silently stepped closer. In the murky light, I could see the man with his back to me. Remus was asleep. My heart sank. I was supposed to be on duty tonight, but he insisted. He was on duty almost every night, he was very tired the last few days, but he still wanted me and the children to rest. I had to wake him up to go to bed, not to suffer on this cold ground. I couldn't sleep anyway, I could at least let him rest this night.