The difference is from earth to heaven - II

I had to make my way through the students in the narrow corridor. As far as I know from Aberforth, all the younger ones and those who did not want to take part in the battle were evacuated. I passed frightened children, and the determination that this war should end once and for all was imprinted on my face.

I turned a corner and there ahead of me was the end of the passage. Another short flight of steps led to a door just like the one hidden behind Ariana's portrait. I pushed it open and climbed through. The room was enormous and looked rather like the interior of a particularly sumptuous treehouse, or perhaps a gigantic ship's cabin. Multicoloured hammocks were strung from the ceiling and from the balcony that ran around the dark wood-panelled and windowless walls, which were covered in bright tapestry hangings. I saw the gold Gryffindor lion, emblazoned on scarlet; the black badger of Hufflepuff, set against yellow; and the bronze eagle of Ravenclaw, on blue. There were bulging bookcases, a few broomsticks propped against the walls, and in the corner, large wood-cased wireless. It was empty except for two women: Ginny and an elderly witch wearing a moth-eaten hat.

They both ran to me, but before they could tell me anything, I turned to the door I had come from and swung the wand to seal it. A slight pain went through my wound and I remembered Lyall's words that the more magic I used, the more the effect would weaken.

"I think we need to seal this entrance. Aberforth has left the pub." I said, ignoring my last thoughts.

At that moment, Harry, Ron, and Hermione burst through the other door, their faces flushed. The old sorceress was the first to address them.

"Ah, Potter," she said crisply as if she had been waiting for him. "You can tell us what's going on."

"Is everyone okay?" said Ginny and me together.

"As far as we know," said Harry. "Are there still people in the passage to the Hog's Head?"

"I was the last to come through," I said. "I sealed it"

"Have you seen my grandson?" said the old witch.

"He's fighting," said Harry.

"Naturally," said the old lady proudly. "Excuse me, I must go and assist him." With surprising speed, she trotted off toward the stone steps.

Harry looked at me."I thought you were supposed to be with the twins at Lupin's father?"

"I couldn't stand not knowing –" I said anguished. "He'll look after them – have you seen Remus and Sirius?"

"They were planning to lead a group of fighters into the grounds –"

"Do you need help?"I asked him.

"I need time to find something. Help me by slowing down Voldemort to get in here as long as possible."

I nodded, clutching his arm lightly, and left the room, hoping to find Remus and Sirius soon.

I learned to control panic as a child. That came at a cost to my health but gave me a survival advantage in this kind of situation. I left my feelings in the background - anxiety, worry, fear and let the goal guide me. Step by step. I had to find Remus and Sirius. The whole school was preparing for battle. I met acquaintances and strangers, but no one had any idea where they were. I wandered in vain for a while, and I felt despair begin to overwhelm me. I shook my head in an attempt to dispel these feelings and gather my thoughts.

Suddenly yells and shouts and the unmistakable noises of duelling filled the corridor. I looked around and my heart seemed to fail: Death Eaters had penetrated Hogwarts. Fred and Percy had just backed into view, both of them duelling masked and hooded men. Harry, Ron, and Hermione appeared beside me. The four of us rushed into battle. Jets of light flew in every direction.