Chapter 3: Explenation

ASTRIDS POV.

The sky was littered with millions of stars, with the sky being as dark as squid ink and no torches aflame the stars were easily visible. She walked through the streets of Berk with only the sound of rustling leaves accompanying her. "Ugh, we're did those mutton heads go?" Astrid said in annoyance.

It was Ruffnut and Tuffnut's job to watch the cages in case any of the encaged dragons got agitated. "Ruff, Tuff? Are you two in here?" She said kneeling down to examine the pole that was lying on the ground. Astrid leaned up against the gate. "Guys, are you in there?" Her question was quickly answered with a shriek from a natter.

The sudden call made her jump back from the gate because it wasn't muffled by any cage door which means it was out of cage. "Did those two mutton heads unlock the cages?!" Astrid muttered to herself. She ran up to the viewing area around the base of the dome to get a better look at what was happening. She peered closely into the arena.

"The dragons are loose!" She yells jumping through the chains into the arena. Over the past 3 years from the constant dragon raids on Berk Astrid had become one of the most skilled fighters on the whole island. She charged towards the dragons her axe gripped tightly in her hands. "AAHHHH!" She hollered charging the small dragon flock that had taken to the air.

An orb of purple energy seemed to materialize out of the black sky and explode the top of the dome letting all the dragons flee. It was at this moment that Snotlout, the twins, Fishlegs, Stoick, Gobber and three other Vikings came charging into the arena weapons ready. "Astrid! Are you ok? I was so worried about you!" Said Snotlout running up to her and grabbing her hand.

Astrid twisted his wrist in almost a full 180 and swiped his feet making him crash to the ground. "I'm fine thanks for asking."
"What happened to the dragons!" Stoicks voice boomed. Nobody said a word. Since Hiccups death three years ago Stoick had become ice cold. He had moments when he was like his old self but he was never the same.

How could he be. Stoick looked up at the roof of the dome. "What happened?" He said starting at the twins. "Don't ask us." Said Ruffnut. "Yeah, why would we know cheif?" Added Tuffnut. Stoicks face was as read as a tomato. "You would know because YOU WERE ASSIGNED TO WATCH THE CAGES!" The twins who were never really affected by anything seemed to be affected by his outburst.

He turned to Astrid next. "Let's hope you can tell me what happened to these dragons. And don't leave out any details on how these cages would have been unlocked." She could see what he was getting at. "You think I did this? Why would I let these dragons go?" She asked shocked by Stoicks accusation. "If you didn't let them out then please tell me what happened." Stoicks eyes narrowed into slits.

"I was tacking a walk down here and noticed that no one was guarding the gate and then I noticed that the metal pole that held the entrance in place had been removed." Stoicks eyes were still glued on her. So far she hadn't done a very good job at proving her innocence. "And then I heard a natter out of its cage." She continued.

"I went to get a better look and that's when I saw the dragons out of there cages. So I called for help and I jumped into the cages to try and get them. But then one of the dragons blasted open the dome and they all escaped." Not even a second after she finished her explanation Stoick spoke. "I don't know why your lying lassy and before you deny it I know that you are."

"And do you know how, because dragons can't get out of there cages on there own! And none of the dragons that were in those cages could have broken through those chains!" He walked closer to her. "Know, is there any other lies you'd like to tell?" He said sarcastically. "The dragons we had, two groncles and a natter. It was neither of them.

The dragon that broke the cage fired some sort of purple plasma that blew it open. It was nothing I had never seen before." Stoick took a step back and all traces of anger were replaced with unease. Stoick exchanged a nervous look with Gobber. "Umm, what's wrong?" Fishlegs asked nervously. "All of you get to your huts." Stoick said and he and Gobber walked out of the Arena muttering quietly between the two of them.

The other Vikings left one after the other after that. The five friends exchanged nervous glances. Because if something could scare Stoick the Vast that much... it couldn't be anything good.