050. 'Tis The Season

Part Two / Chapter Fifty

Dresses were never Venus' thing. She preferred jeans, sweatpants and even a skirt if she was feeling up to it. But for Slughorn's party, Constance put up a fight for Venus to wear one of her dresses for the event. Unfortunately for Venus, she was never able to say no to Constance. She snatched the dress from her and went to change.

       "Yay!" Constance celebrated, feeling accomplished that she got her best friend to wear something that was borderline fancy. Venus, on the other hand, wanted to teleport right out of there but Constance was excited about the party so she put on the stupid dress.

       She straightened the fabric and looked at herself in the mirror.

       "D'you have the dress on?" Constance asked through the door. "Can I come in? I want to see it."

       Venus threw the door open. "I look like I should be dancing in a cottage with seven dwarves," she said.

       "Oh, this dress looks nothing like Cinderella," said Constance brushing down the skirt of Venus' dress.

       "It's Snow White not Cind..." Venus stopped when Constance looked at her with doe eyes. "Nevermind, we should get to the party."

       Constance sucked her teeth. "You don't fool me, Venus Rosario. Put your heels on."

       "No." she said, going to open the door. She looked back and made eye contact with a frowning Constance, her eyes sparkling under the glint of the candles lighting their dorm.

       Venus fixed her heel as they arrived in the entrance hall at eight o'clock that night, she found an unusually large number of girls lurking there, all of whom seemed to be staring at them resentfully as they made their way to Slughorn's party. Specifically, Romilda Vane.

       "Someone's bitter," said Constance lowly, making Venus chuckle. They linked arms and followed the sound of laughter and music that grew louder each step they took. The clicks of their heels soon being drowned out by the loud conversation.

       "Venus, so happy you could make it!" boomed Slughorn, almost as soon as Venus and Constance had squeezed in through the door. "Come in, come in, so many people I'd like you to meet!"

       Harry snapped his head toward the door at the sound of her name. She looked radiant. He watched her get dragged away somewhere by Slughorn.

       "You should close your mouth," Luna said to him. "You'll catch nargles."

       Slughorn led her purposefully into the party; Venus seized Constance's hand and dragged her along with them.