Chapter 9

All of them were thrown into the walls as the Demon tried to become corporeal, Magnus barely able to contain him with his magic.

Serena was about to charge forward and kill the demon, when it shot for Clary.

She didn't think twice.

Serena threw her body in front of Clary's as the demon's tendrils of smoke lifted her off the ground, threatening to take her with him back to the hellish dimension it came from.

"SERENA!" Alec yelled as he ran to grab her hands, Izzy following suit as they tried to break the Demon's hold on her.

Jace then ran forward to help Isabelle pull as Alec yelled out in complete and utter agony that she was slipping from their grip.

"Clary! Help us!" Izzy pleaded as they pulled, the demon only growing stronger as Clary stayed frozen against the wall.

Clary scooped up Serena's fallen seraph blade as Magnus yelled, "Clary if you kill the demon, your memories will be lost forever!"

In the time that Clary hesitated, Alec watched as his wife struggle to keep her eyes open, growing weaker by the second.

But before Alec could yell at the redhead, she had plunged the glowing knife into the demon, killing it as Serena fell into Alec's arms.

He held her head in her lap as tears threatened to line his eyes as he said, "Serena! Serena, you have to wake up. Serena, you've got to wake up. Baby, please wake up."

"Can you help her?!" Jace shouted at Magnus who only shook his head regretfully.

"I would if I could, but I expended too much of my magic trying to contain the demon. I won't be able to heal her for at least a few hours."

Serena then gasped as she sat up bolt right, coughing before she sank into Alec's arms, Izzy grasping her hand tightly as she breathed.

"I'm ok. I'm ok," she promised as both of the Lightwoods sighed in relief, Izzy pressing a kiss to Serena's hand in a silent message that she was glad she was ok.

Jace, however, walked out of the room, consumed with guilt.

His sister had almost died, because of him.

Because he was in love with Clary and refused to admit it.

******************************************************************

Jace had headed back to the Institute, begrudgingly taking Clary with him as the redhead tried to get him to talk about what happened and he flat out ignored her.

Magnus had been kind enough to portal the rest of them back to the Institute, having regained enough strength for that, but Alec had refused to let Serena even walk by herself after her encounter with the Greater Demon.

Izzy had gone off to make her some tea, the only thing she could actually 'cook' without ruining, while Alec got his wife ready for bed.

He insisted on babying her right now and Serena was ok with it, knowing he needed this after what he went through. He needed to feel in control of something when he almost lost control of everything. She allowed him to pull off her shoes and scoop her hair up into a bun, but she stripped off her clothes in exchange for one of Alec's t-shirts, which was a dress on her seeing as he was ridiculously tall.

He was sitting at her bedside when Izzy walked in with the tea, having made some for Alec too.

"I'm really glad you're ok," she said to the blonde who gave her a small smile. And Izzy kissed her hair before heading off to bed herself, closing the door behind her.

It was then that she noticed how badly Alec's hands were shaking.

"Alec?"

He couldn't look at her.

"Alec," she called as she took his shaking hands.

"You didn't wake up, and I- I-"

"You saved me," she finished for him. "Look at me, I'm sitting here. I'm perfectly fine other than the fact that I'm a little tired. I'm ok. I'm right here. It takes a lot more than a Greater Demon to take me down."

Alec pulled her forward so that she rested on his shoulder, hands still shaking as he was scared to touch her, for fear of hurting her.

"Just don't ever, and I mean ever, scare me like that again."

She chuckled softly.

"I'll try not to.