Fifty four

Cristina grabbed Erin and Meredith, yanking them into a supply closet in the ER.

"Teddy. Turns out she loves Owen and thought she came here to be all, you know, Teddy and Owen, but there's me, and now she's all pain and threatening to leave, and so I told her she could have him," Cristina said.

"What?" Erin and Meredith chorused in surprise.

"She's an amazing teacher, and I'm, you know, I'm happy again, and I'm... I'm in the OR and I'm feeling like myself and I... And, of course, I didn't mean it. I mean, I love Owen. I-I love him. But that means that I don't get to have her, so... Maybe I meant it?" Cristina frowned slightly.

"Okay, here's the thing, you can't talk like this. It's, like, we get you, yeah. But other people don't, so you can't talk like this," Erin said. 

"I-I mean, it's... it's crazy. It's, like, um, if you tell someone their baby is ugly. You know, they know it, you know it, everybody knows it, but you don't talk about it," Meredith said.

"Yeah," Erin nodded.

"Okay, but... but you're saying surgery, right? Gun to your head, you would choose surgery over Derek and Jesse?" Cristina asked.

"I am saying don't talk about this," Meredith said. 

"And don't talk about it to Owen," Erin finished. Cristina nodded with a sigh.

"What are you talking about?" Alex sighed, looking up from his cadaver. Erin looked up from where she was braiding her hair. She, Meredith, Cristina, Alex and Jackson were all in the morgue so Meredith and Jackson could practice for their Whipple with the chief later.

"She's on this thing," Erin said.

"Okay, if you had to choose between the thing you love, surgery, and the person you love, which would you choose?" Cristina said.

"You would choose Izzie, right? Because you two are gonna get back together," Meredith said.

"Shut up," Erin and Alex chorused.

"Wait, why do you have to choose?" Jackson asked.

"That doesn't matter. You just do. Which is it, surgery or love?" Cristina said.

"I want both," Jackson said.

"That's what I said," Meredith smiled.

"No, you can't have both," Cristina said.

"Why the hell not?" Jackson asked.

"Why the hell is he here?" Cristina asked.

"I said he could be in here because he's in the Whipple, too," Meredith said.

"Okay, whatever. Once again, you cannot have both. You have to choose," Cristina said firmly.

"Choose what?" Izzie's voice came. They all turned to see her stood in the doorway. "Uh, my pet scan got pushed back an hour, so thought I'd join you for lunch," Izzie said awkwardly. Cristina motioned for them to sit down and then looked at Meredith, still working on her cadaver.

"Okay. That. You have to give up that, learning the procedure, tuning out the world until you get it, like, you know, doing the procedure is the only thing that matters, like if you don't get to do it, you'll die. That's what you have to give up," Cristina said.

"For what?" Izzie asked.

"Love," Cristina, Meredith, Alex, Jackson and Erin chorused.

"Why?" Izzie frowned.