13

November 16th, 1952

I walk towards the chatter, looking at the people talking to one another. It seems like an entire crowd, but it can't be any more than 20
people. I take step by step towards them, my hands held together behind my back, quietly pleading that they don't look up. But when they do, it falls silent, and I'm left walking towards them awkwardly, wondering if the reason they're staring is because of my hair, or because of my posture, maybe they can tell that I didn't get any sleep last night! Shit. I continue to approach them, just praying that they keep talking.

"Aurora!" Florence let's go of Percy's hand, and comes walking towards me with a hug, like she didn't just see me last night. I stand still, face burning hotter than ever as I wait for her to let go. Where are those damn violins to fill silence when you need them? She walks me down the rest of the hall, and I, very blatantly nervous, shake the suitor's hands. By the looks of it, they all made it on time. I really hope this is all of them. Before I get a good look, Percy chips in. "Off to lunch we go, then." I try not to scoff at the minuscule amount of time he allowed for introductions.

"Hold on!"

The entire group turns to see another figure running towards the castle. His dirty-blonde hair jumps with him as he jogs over. Takes quite a man to be late for his possible future wife, huh? He reaches the group, and pushes through to apologize to me, taking my hand to delicately kiss my knuckle. I chuckle at his dramatic introduction, grinning when he looks up, he lets go of my hand. I shake my head. This is something straight out of a movie.

"I'm awfully sorry," He mumbles, his confidence from before clearly diminished.

"It's okay. I should've known there would be one klutz." I try not to smile as he cracks up, Florence reaching out to lightly swat my shoulder. The boy is pulled back into a group as Percy rolls his eyes at a little bit of fun. He leads us off to lunch, but I can't help the grin that lingers on my lips. How can something that would've made me want to rip my hair out be so charming? I follow the group to lunch, questioning my own gullibility.

꧁꧂

I look to the end of the table to Florence, who, along with Percy has been telling the boys all about me. To tell the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if I was the one getting the most out of it. I'm also pretty glad that Florence and Percy are doing most of that talking, once again. All I have to do is sit back and study.

My eyes hop from face to face, sitting across from me. Farthest to the left, there's a blonde boy with glasses that he pushes up when he catches my eye, his pale grey eyes darting around the room. I try not to smile when he quickly looks away.

Next to him, there's someone with middle-parted, medium length hair. His cheekbones are sharper than a knife, compared to the soft-faced kid to his left. He doesn't bat an eye at me, but something tells me he knows I'm looking, so I divert my attention.

I continue scanning over the suitors, and judging by how into the conversation they are is really enough to tell me something. Really, there's a perfect example of the kid who was late, and the suitor across from him. The late guy seems to have deep, yet subtle blue eyes with nearly unnoticeable eye bags, which I actually like about him. I smile, looking to the bored-looking suitor across from him.

Somehow, he looks older than the other boys, with a sharp jawline and dark brown hair. His lips near a frown, as they slightly droop, clearly unamused. I catch myself when he looks over to my end of the table, and I just barely catch a glimpse of his numb, muted eyes, before quickly playing it off as if I wasn't just admiring him. And I don't even see why, he isn't my type, and it really doesn't help that he looks bored out of his mind. Now, Florence may be boring, but at least give her an ounce of attention. I cut the examining act for now as I focus my attention back into the conversation.

After lunch, the suitors and I bid farewell, and I head back to my room. Just as I turn to face the hallway, I'm turned around by someone calling my name. I look behind myself to see the same guy from before, the one who was late. Just over his shoulder, I see the rest of the group carry on without a second thought, Percy bringing the suitors to their rooms, Florence heading off to the ladies room.

"Oh, hi," I say, not letting my want to get back to my room get in front of my personality. I turn back to continue walking down the hall, his footsteps trailing behind.

"Hey, I just wanted to apologize for that whole mixup before," He nods his head in the direction of the palace entrance. "I'm Oliver. Oliver Greene." He catches up to me in a quiet jog.

"It's alright, Mr. Greene. It's the fact that you leave the group once again just to make it up to me that's funny." I smile at his chuckle, and he shakes his head, watching his shoes. I look over at him with a grin as he struggles for a comeback. I hope I don't look that obviously flustered every time I fumble.

"Please, just Oliver is fine. And, really all I can say is I didn't really want to spend another minute with that Percy guy." He shrugs, and I'm surprised by his boldness. Not offended, really I don't blame him, but just so entertained by his flickering confidence. I smirk, looking ahead when he looks up from the floor.

"That's pretty cocky for someone I just met, isn't it?" I ask, raising an eyebrow his way as he shakes his head, laughing. I just barely notice how his eyes light up with his smile. He really is like a prince in one of those stories.

"Oh please, I could tell just by the way you glare at him. You don't disagree with me, do you?"

"That's a pretty personal question, don't you think, Mr. Greene?"

"Well it doesn't seem that deep when even a stranger like me can realize it. Not to mention how pompous he is." His bad talking would probably bother me if I actually did like Percy, but it's quite relieving to know I'm not the only one who notices his cocky manners. I smile, pursing my lips when I look back up at Oliver without a comeback in mind.

"What's that look?" His smile lifts up in the left corner, a look daring me to trash talk my own father. I take another route. At least for now.

"Nothing. It's just funny hearing that coming from someone like you." I shrug, and he rolls his eyes, looking up at the ceiling as we continue childishly bickering for the rest of the night.