forty-seven

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡
( 𝘍𝘜𝘛𝘜𝘙𝘌. )

THE GROUP WAS SILENT for the rest of the journey back to Alexandria

THE GROUP WAS SILENT for the rest of the journey back to Alexandria. What they had agreed to do weighed on all of their minds. Although they had received food in return, which they were bringing back to the hungry Alexandrians, they couldn't help but wonder if this was the right thing. Well, some questioned it more than others. Murphy was one of them. Her leg hadn't stopped nervously bouncing since they left Hilltop's walls, even after Daryl softly set his hand upon her knee. This wasn't right, she thought. The more that time passed, the more she disagreed.

She had seen enough of death. She had seen enough killing to never want to pick up a weapon again. The thought of going in and slaughtering a group of people, no matter what they got in return, made Murphy sick. It made her heart pound. It made her palms grow sweaty. And regardless of the moral implications of this action, it was dangerous. The loss of life could outweigh the gain. Murphy felt herself lean against Daryl's side subconsciously. She could feel his soft breaths against her neck, his calloused fingers toying with her own. Yet, he didn't agree with her sentiment.

When they returned to Alexandria and drove inside, Rick pulled up along the main streets curb. Sasha, Aaron, and Carol awaited them. When the RV slowed to a stop, Murphy reluctantly drew back from Daryl's side and stood up. She followed Michonne out of the vehicle as Rick spoke to Sasha and Aaron.

"Get Olivia," he ordered out of the driver's window. "She should inventory what we have. We'll meet her at the pantry."

"You have food?" Sasha asked, although the way she spoke was more of a statement.

"Yeah," Michonne replied as she and Murphy slowed to a stop before them. "Enough for another month."

Murphy noticed the look on her face. She looked troubled, concerned, almost... regretful. If there was one thing Murphy had learned about Michonne, it was that she was the most determined woman she'd ever met. Michonne was so certain of herself and what she believed in. This was the first time Murphy had seen a semblance of conflict in her expression. She looked at the ground.

"I need everybody in the church in an hour," Rick continued, starting up the RV once more.

Rosita had approached and sent Murphy a questioning glace. Murphy shook her head, wordlessly. That one small action sent more feeling than words ever could. Rosita lowered her head, and walked away.

"Murphy?" Carol's delicate voice called from behind her. Murphy turned and locked eyes with the woman she'd been wanting to talk to. "What's going on?"

Murphy opened her mouth to reply, but didn't know what to say. She furrowed her brows in thought before looking up to Rick in the RV. Rick stared into her eyes and his gaze flicked to Carol. The air around the three became oppressive.