Chapter Twelve: Auntie's Wicked Tales

"However baffled we find ourselves that no marriage proposal had been made by a particular Prince to a particular Diamond of the First Water, Lady Trowbridge's soirée has offered us another pleasant surprise: Miss Granville and Mr. Benedict Bridgerton's very first and rather memorable dance. After some initial difficulties, probably involving a battle of wills, the two were perfectly in sync. Whether they were caught up in the sensual nature of the fete, or each other's considerable charm is hard to tell. Albeit, it is of no significance, because tonight's dance has dispelled any doubts, and this author must confess she harboured many, about the genuinity of their affections towards one another. Vigilant onlookers might have caught a moment when the pair struggled to keep the distance between them. In the end, nevertheless, they stayed within the bounds of appropriateness. Had there been a wayward touch, or God forbid, a kiss, Miss Granville would have been responsible for the biggest scandal of the season. Expected of her, yes, this kind, definitely no. Albeit, we hardly find ourselves shocked; the Bridgerton men, after all, are infamous for their charms."

"Why does this Whistledown woman esteem me so little? Is it so impossible to imagine that dancing with Mr. Bridgerton was my choice and I was not swept off my feet by his charms?" Franny lamented, crumbling the latest issue into a furious little ball, "And for the matter of fact, I asked him to dance."

"Hmm, did you? And what was his reaction?" Lucy inquired, turning her head towards the sun.

"I believe he found it rather amusing and gladly took me up on my offer."

"That's a plus point for Mr. Bridgerton. I applaud men whose ego is not fragile."

"I always took him as someone with the right amount of confidence and a very good temper. Smiling through all the balls is a heroic achievement. Maybe because he has so many younger siblings. But then again, Anthony is the complete antithesis of patience."

"A trait you are most familiar with, I would say."

"Well, life is short, and I am not going to wait around for anyone."

"Clearly, in your one and twenty years, you have certainly experienced how fleeting life is."

"You are on a roll today, Auntie. I would really like to know, though, what Lady Whistledown has against me."

"Well, you did declare, loud and proud, that you intended to have nothing to do with the Season. And here you are, dancing, with vigour, I must add, with one of the most sought-after catches. Not that I am complaining, I rejoice in the hateful sneer I receive from vulgar mamas green with envy," Lucy replied with a devilish smile on her angelic face.

"You find pleasure in the curious form of entertainment."

"I would say that runs in the family."

They both chuckled.

"You are rather enjoying this Auntie, are you not? Me making the headlines."

"Indeed I am. The Bridgertons might have a diamond, but I have something invaluable, fun."

They strolled on in silence, watching a young couple in front of them. The lady dropped her handkerchief and the gentleman came swiftly to her rescue.

"If I had known that dropping handkerchiefs was an act of swoon I would have paid more attention not to be so clumsy," Franny murmured, "I should learn the art of the swoon in order not to wield it."

"When you are a bit older, I will teach you how to pull the strings while letting them think they are in charge."

"But why is that one must triumph over the other? Cannot we be on equal footing?"