Chapter 09

Jessica was woken by her puppy, River was crying for the toilet. Jessica glanced at her clock, it was 4:30 in the morning, she rolled out of bed. She was only wearing shorts and a shirt, she threw her cardigan over her shoulders. Jessica slowly opened her door, carrying River through the house.

Jessica placed River on her leash, walking her outside the back. Jessica gazed into the holding pen where the Augurey was being held, he was awake staring up into the sky. Jessica creased her brows, 'Why was it staring up quietly like that?' Jessica wondered.

The Augurey cried loudly, Jessica covered her ears, the loud screech shot through her body like an electrically shot. It began to rain, Jessica hurried back into the house, River running behind her.

Jessica walked into the living room, slumping down on the sofa, the puppy curled up on the floor falling back to sleep. Jessica leaned back into the sofa, closing her eyes for just a second. She woke up when she heard the TV playing, she looked up.

"Morning, sleepyhead," Charlie said, sat in the chair opposite the sofa.

"What time is it?" Jessica mumbled. Charlie checked his watch

"9:45"

"Why didn't you wake me? Don't we have work to do today?" Jessica asked.

"Yeah, but you looked tired, so I thought I'd leave you to sleep," Charlie said, Jessica smiled at him, sitting up on the sofa.

"When do we leave for Egypt?" Jessica asked, lifting River up on the sofa, massaging her head. Charlie smiled at her with the puppy.

"Sometime tomorrow, you know for someone who's frightened of animals you have really taken to her," Charlie said, Jessica smiled down at River.

"I know, I guess she's calming, I feel relaxed around her,"

"Yeah, pets can make you feel that way," Charlie said, they sat there in silence for a moment,

Jessica stood from the sofa, she headed to her room to change out of her pyjamas into her work clothes for the day. It would be nice to get away from the Dragon Sanctuary for a while, enjoy the things Egypt had to offer. Maybe she'd go and see the Pyramids, the Sphinx, the muggle monument, not the creature. She'd need to have a death wish to see one of them.

She settled River down, before heading out of her room, to get to work. Charlie waited for her outside, he appeared to be significantly more excited about today's work. Jessica eyed him cautiously, 'what was he so excited about?'

"Right, I wanted to show you someone." Charlie spoke, "he might be a little startling,"

"Define startling?" Jessica asked

"He's big, but he's a baby still he's only 9 months old" Charlie explained, Jessica had a horrible pit in her stomach

"Charlie, what is he?" Jessica asked, stopping in her tracks, Charlie stopped with her.

"He's a dragon," Charlie said, he saw the fear rush to Jessica's face "you'll be fine, I promise,"

"I can't I'm sorry, I jus-

"You can, I'll be right beside you," Charlie said, placing his hands on her arms, reassuring her she'll be fine.

"How about in front of me," Jessica said, Charlie laughed.

Charlie walked ahead towards the Dragon enclosure with his arm around Jessica guiding her slowly towards the enclosure. Jessica was nervous but she felt safe with Charlie's arm around her, offering some form of security. They reached the enclosure, Charlie let go of Jessica she flooded with fear again.

She watched as Charlie entered the enclosure, he walked in there as though Dragon's were a perfectly safe creature to be around. Jessica watched as Charlie walked around the enclosure, 'it's just a baby, nothing to be scared of' Jessica told herself. A loud roar was heard but nothing was seen, Jessica looked all around but couldn't see anything. A large scaly creature landed on Charlie knocking him down.

"Charlie!" she shouted,

Jessica raced to the door as her hand touched the handle, she heard laughing, she looked up. To see Charlie laughing as the dragon nuzzles into him, Charlie stood up, pushing the Dragons nose down.

"You silly boy, you're too big to jump all over me," Charlie said, the Dragon nudged Charlie head with his nose. Charlie threw him a dead ferret, the Dragon jumped to catch the ferret, Charlie hurried back to the door.

"That's a baby, he's huge," Jessica said

"Yeah, he won't mature till he's 2 years old," Charlie told her, Jessica shook her head. "He can't fly yet, he's still too young,"

"Why did you want me to meet him?" Jessica asked as they both walked back to the house.

"I wanted you to see what he's like with me, he's gentle, he might have knocked me over but he means no harm," Charlie said, Jessica smiled at him.

"I think I sit down after see that," She said, hurrying into the house, sitting in the living room to play with River again.

Charlie walked inside, heading for his room. He still needed to pack his bag for Egypt, he often left it till the last minute. Which usually resulted in leaving something behind. He heard a knock at his door, he thought Jessica might have wanted something, he opened the door to Mrs Winters.

"What is it?" Charlie asked

"What are you doing?" she asked, Charlie creased his brows.

"I'm not sure what you mean?" he said

"The puppy, taking her to Egypt on your family vacation. Charlie, don't forget why she's here," Mrs Winters pointed out.

"I haven't forgotten why she's here, it was you who told me to be friends with her," Charlie explained

"Yes I did, so you wouldn't be so hard on her, I did not tell you to give her a puppy," she said

"If you're concerned about me be professional, you don't have to be, I don't feel anything for Jessica,"