Sparking the Resistance (and maybe a little bit more)

~September 9th, 1995~

"You want to build an army?!" Hermione almost choked on the juice she was drinking when she asked this. I had expected many reactions from her, and this was definitely one of them.

"Not just any army," I decided to ignore the reluctant frown that she was giving me, "And certainly not an army at all if you don't quiet down a bit!"

Hermione rolled her eyes and waved her hand for me to continue. It was time for something that I rarely succeeded in doing: Explaining myself.

"W-we all received the official news from the Ministry this morning that appointed Umbridge as High Inquisitor. That shows that they aren't just trying to suppress our magical abilities, they are also trying to find ways to discourage us."

Curse my stupid stuttering-

"Yes, Ron's brother Percy happened to warn us of that same public announcement yesterday."

"Don't you see? Everyone is scared! The Ministry is scared of opposition while the students are afraid to oppose them!"

I took a deep breath before checking to see if Hermione, who had decided to bring her lunch and sit with me just outside of the Great Hall, was giving my words any thought. It seemed so.

"Anyways," I concluded, "What I'm really trying to say is that we need a group to practice with. We need a leader that knows what's he or she is doing and is able to teach us effectively."

Her chocolate eyes were unmoving for a moment. I was on the verge of asking what was wrong until those same eyes lit up with the spark of an idea.

Hermione shot up from where she was sitting, pulling me up with her. I was happy that she had at least considered my proposal, but I couldn't deny that I was also very confused. What could possibly be happening in that brilliant head of hers?

I had already left my questions for Luna unanswered yesterday. I wasn't about to let that happen right now.

"What is it?" I sighed, the realization that she still hasn't told me dawning on her face.

She gave me a smile and laughed, shaking her head. This only succeeded in making me even more confused. At this point, she was toying with me. I had noticed a few days ago that Hermione had a habit of doing this; she would let the suspense build up until she knew someone couldn't contain their curiosity, and then she would give them her "genius" idea. I wasn't in the mood for that.

"Hermione!" I hissed. Her head snapped back to me with an apologetic expression on her face. The rights of hundreds of witches and wizards were on the lines. Students and teachers alike were on the apparent verge of losing what little freedom they already had with Umbridge and the Ministry of Magic hanging over their heads.

Maybe I was being a little bit theatrical, but that didn't make it untrue.

"So," Hermione said, sitting down and taking a bite of her sandwich. I waited "patiently" with my hands in my lap while she chewed and swallowed, finally ready to reveal her plan.

"I have the perfect candidate for a leader, but as for a meeting place, I'm not sure. We definitely need somewhere that can't be found by Umbridge."

"Great, we can settle that later! Who do think would be a good leader for us?"

"Harry."

Now it was my turn to nearly choke on what was in my mouth. Harry? Of course anyone would want him to teach them, if it meant that they could possibly gain something worthwhile from The Boy Who Lived, but in this situation? He was nothing more than an ordinary student like us with the average knowledge of a Fifth Year. What could he possibly offer?