46. countdown

"Avery!" Bellamy snapped, rushing to keep up to me as we made our way to safety. "Just hold on a minute!"

"There's no time to waste, Bell. We need to get to the ship now." I called back, not wanting to discuss what had just happened.

Bellamy grabbed onto me, pulling me back toward him. "What did he do to you?" he demanded, searching for the answer in my expression.

I let out a quick sigh, my eyes meeting his worried ones. "It's better if you don't know."

"Avery." he affirmed sternly. "Did he--"

He cut himself off, similar to the way Murphy had when he had asked me about what happened. No one wanted to speak the bitter words.

"No." I answered quietly. "Diyoza stopped him before he did anything like that."

Bellamy's face was written in complete anger as he shook his head. "That's why your face is bruised, isn't it?"

I looked over my shoulder, the transport ship just in view off of the horizon. "We need to go." I whispered, knowing that this conversation could wait.

A reluctant expression spread across his face as he finally nodded. "Okay." he breathed. "Come on."

The two of us took off running, eventually joining with the groups of people that were still evacuating from the village.

It felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulder when the whole ship came into view. We had made it...but had everyone else?

"Thank God!" Clarke breathed, rushing toward Bellamy and I as we closed the distance between the field.

Clarke and I had had our differences lately, but I was happy to see her.

"What's going on?" I demanded, looking over to her with panicked eyes.

"McCreary." she answered, her voice wavering. "There's currently a bomb hurdling toward the Earth that will kill us all if we're not in the air by the time it hits."

I felt my heart drop as I ran a shaky hand over my face. "Great." I muttered, still trying to catch my breath. "Is everyone else back yet?"

She shook her head. "No. We're still missing some of the wounded. And my mom," she added. "Did you see her?"

I gave her a small shake of my head. "No." I answered. "But we left a group to go door-to-door. They'll bring her in."

A grateful look spread across her face, but it was still masked by fear. I placed a hand on her arm, trying to provide any comfort that I could.

Bellamy, who had stepped away from the group, watched the tree line with a look of complete worry.

"Three minutes to impact."

My heart jumped in my chest. Three minutes. That's all the time we had for the rest of our people to get on the ship.

"Monty." Clarke snapped into the radio in desperation as she slowly walked back toward the ramp of the ship. "Monty, come in."

I couldn't stand still. My heart was racing and I felt like I was going to be sick as I slowly paced back and forth in a small circle.

Madi had taken up a position beside Bellamy, the two of them in conversation that I didn't feel like interrupting.

So, I stood by myself, alone with my horrible thoughts as I awaited the rest of my friends.

"Two minutes to impact."

I swear I almost broke my fingers as I nervously cracked my knuckles as hard as I could-I needed something to take my mind of the overwhelming fear I was currently plagued with.