47. ten year slumber

The next few hours were a complete whirlwind. 

I had instantly volunteered to help with the wounded, knowing Abby and Jackson were surely overwhelmed. 

I had spent the better part of the past two hours assisting Jackson in removing Murphy's bullets. Despite the fact that he was okay, I still couldn't shake the fact that I had left him. 

Currently, I was sat next to his bedside, carefully watching him as he slept. I couldn't just leave him alone. 

"Hey." Emori said softly, placing a soothing hand on my shoulder as she stood over me. "How's he doing?"

Looking up at her, I forced a smile on my face. "Good." I answered. "Jackson got both bullets."

She gave me a small smile. "How are you doing?"

A confused look spread across my face. "I'm fine." I answered, but one look from her cracked my facade. "I shouldn't have left him, Emori."

"Avery," she breathed, kneeling down so she was in front of me. "This isn't your fault. You did exactly what you were supposed to do. So stop beating yourself up."

I shook my head. "You guys almost died." I whispered.

"But we didn't." Came Murphy's groggy voice. "So, give it up, Collins. You're still stuck with me."

Emori and I shared a relieved look as we looked over at Murphy who was smirking back at us. "Two doting girls by my bedside, I must be dreaming."

I rolled my eyes as I stood up. "Glad to see you're feeling fine." I mumbled, secretly relieved that Murphy was back to his cockroach self. "I'll leave you two alone."

Emori shook her head. "Bellamy wants all of us to meet him at the bridge. Something to do with deciding the fate of the human race."

I let out a small breath as I shook my head. "All in a day's work."

Murphy let out a small cough as he sat up in the bed. "Guess we better hurry up then."

Silently, Emori and I helped him out of bed. His arms draped over each of our shoulders as we slowly made our way out of medbay. 

I was quiet as we walked, my mind trying to digest all that had happened in the past 24 hours. The Earth as we knew it was destroyed once again, this time there was no telling how long it would be uninhabitable for. 

It broke my heart, it truly did. We had just gotten back and now it was all gone again. For once, I just wished that something would go right. 

I secured my grip around Murphy's waist as the three of us walked through the corridors of the mothership, making our way to the bridge. 

The hallways were littered with people, all of us unsure of where everyone should go since no one knew what our next move was. 

One person in the hallway caught my eye. She was seated by herself, and stoic look on her face as she looked toward me. 

Octavia didn't look happy to be alive. She looked defeated, like she had somehow failed. And sure, maybe McCreary destroyed our chance at survival on Earth, but at least we were all still alive, right?

I gave her a quick glance before turning the corner. My heart felt heavy leaving her out of this discussion like she was some kind of outsider. But maybe right now, that's what she was. 

As we entered the bridge, we were met by the scene of a small group of people crowded around the room, clearly waiting for us. 

"Here." Clarke announced, pulling a chair up. "Murphy, sit down."