CHAPTER 17

🎶your face is all that I see. I've given you everything. baby, love me lights out🎶
-Beyoncé

 baby, love me lights out🎶-Beyoncé

Naija's Journal,

                     December 23rd,

I never really knew what it feels like to be "in love." But I think I know now.

Love, Naija R.

_______________

         19 year olds King and Michael came shuffling into the barbershop in a fit of low laughter. Snow trailed from behind them, melting onto the tiled floors. The day was cold and the sky was bright and white.

"Aye, aye!" Kenny, their barber, waved his hand in the air, catching their attention. "Wass with all the noise 'n shit? What I tell y'all bout comin' in doin' that shit? I got customers!" He fussed as Michael kissed his teeth, brushing off his jacket a bit.

"There was a fight over on Main St." King pointed behind him with his thumb. "We was jus' in the crowd watchin' before police came."

"We went runnin'." Michael added on to the story. "Niggas brought out guns jus' for a fight."

King dug into his pocket for a $50 and gripped it. "Weak as shit." He shook his head as they leaned against the wall by the door as Kenny listened with an amused smile from the distance. "Wass weak?"

Michael kissed his teeth. "How they always gotta bring out a weapon when iss clearly a fist fight. It ain't that hard to pop a few hits. Go 1-2-3 and you done." He punched his fists in the air in demonstration

"Right." King nodded. "But we ran as soon as police came we ain't got time for that shit. Wassup Rich?" They dapped Richie up who sat in the chair beside Kenny, getting his sides shaved a bit.

"Y'all needa stay outta that shit." Kenny shook his head. "Streets ain't safe for allat."

"Uh huh." King hummed, giving Kenny the $50 he took out his pocket previously.

Kenny eyed him and stood straight, dusting off the empty chair he stood in front of. "You really here for a cut or for a place to hide? I know y'all's games."

Michael laughed dryly. "He here for a cut Ken doll." He licked his lips. "The fight ain't involve us no worries."

"I know you ain't call me Ken doll-"