thirty-six

Naomi Black

Naomi Black

It was Tuesday afternoon. Six days until our Midterms were due. Five days until Matti's last season game. I was curled up in my bed without a thought in the world. It was 1:30 and I had just returned back from my psychology class.

We learned about children's psychology today and how their brains worked.

I wasn't feeling too hot about this chapter we were reviewing, I for one didn't want to hear about narc babies—since I was one. I didn't want to know about the endless pathways of destruction my mother had created for me while doing meth until I came out.

The only bad thing to happen to me though was that I came two months early. I was a tiny premature baby.

She was in pain, she craved the high, I just wish she would've picked me over her high.

I was always a sad child—but the sad thing about depression is that it can be masked. You can do things to keep your mind off of the world inside of your head that wants to cause harm, but the things that keep you occupied can only last for so long.

My mother never tried to make it work with my father and vice versa—they were on two different pathways. I was the only thing that linked them.

I remember when my mother died, I hadn't seen my dad in eight years. I left the funeral in his car and that was it. I was swept away from my mom's side of the family; my fathers family disliked it.