Forever

Four words.

Four simple words.

Can I decide later?

That's what was standing between Sophie and pretending she'd never ran into Keefe's arms. Right than she was sitting curled up in her room pondering how in the world she could be so foolish to say those four tiny words. The ones indicating she would tell him something, do something. And that's what stood between keeping him safe and clueless and...

"Sophie? I haven't seen you in forever."

Snapping her head up she looked to the place the voice came from.

"Dex?" She questioned after she saw his familiar face, a curious smile on his lips at her position.

"Hey, my mom was dropping off some elixirs and I was gonna dye Iggy since I heard you were sick or something but I guess you're here?" Dex asked and Sophie unfurled herself from the feeble position she was in.

"Yeah. I'm feeling better." Hah. That was a lie.

Probably a bigger one than she even realized.

"Oh well. I saw you at school today. Not that you noticed... you left after first class right?" Dex asked and Sophie nodded slowly, unsure of what to him about this. Honestly she was unsure about basically everything nowadays.

"Yeah. I was just feeling sick," Sophie said, trying to excuse the matter. And she had been feeling a little out of it...

"I saw you talking to Keefe." Dex said and flashed a knowing glance at her causing her cheeks to turn pale. She did need someone to talk to about this but talking about it with Dex... that felt weird. Like really weird. Because yeah he was her best friend but Dex used too... And yeah she knew he definitely didn't feel that way anymore. But it still made her skin crawl.

"You did, didn't you..." Sophie whispered and swallowed.

How was she supposed to hide something that was blaring at the front of her mind?

"Sophie... you... you know I don't like you anymore right?" Dex asked and not a blush formed on his cheeks.

"Yeah I do." Sophie said, wondering where this was going. Had he figured out what was on her mind?

"Well I know that you're the one who brought Keefe back home. And that he was having some sort of weird memory jumble thing." Dex said and she nodded again.

"Welllll. I may or may not have seen you two... um." Now Dex was blushing and his cheeks were going mad with red. Sophie couldn't seem to figure out why as he stumbled to get a grip on his next words.

"I saw you two... do what we did." Dex said and added a meaningful glance that made her even more confused.

It seemed like she was missing something.

Something really big.

And he was talking about Keefe. And something they did. And for some reason he was blushing.

But why...

Crap.

"You were watching? How does that even work! We were in my room!" Sophie said, her cheeks aflame at the thought of Dex seeing her kiss Keefe. It wasn't that she thought Dex would be mad but... how would you feel if you walked in on two of your closest friends kissing?

"Um well. I was going to try to make a techy thing for Keefe and I couldn't find him and I sorta stole your spyball..." Dec trailed off as she glared at him a nervous blush on her cheeks.

"And you just decided to look for him in the perfect moment didn't you?" Sophie asked sarcastically, knowing full well what his answer would be.

"Well just about yeah. And than I saw... your guys reaction, looks like Keefe beat me at knocking you off your feet."

Sophie's glare turned intended as she sputtered,
"You did not just say that right now. Oh my gosh do you even realize how badly I got hurt? How badly Keefe's guilt went too..." stopping she realized she'd almost spilled the secret. And she couldn't do that. Not to Dex, not to anyone.

Not even Keefe.

"Sophie?" Dex asked, all the blush gone now as he curiously watched her.

"Sorry... like I said. I'm not feeling so good." She mumbled and could tell he didn't believe it.

"Sophie we both know you and Keefe have always had a sort of... connection." Dex said and offered a smile that was probably supposed to calm her nerves but only seemed to heighten them.

Because she just. Couldn't. Talk about this.

Because if she did she'd have to acknowledge everything, all the complications, the worry's and issues... Fitz, Keefe's almost mindbreak. Grady...

And she wasn't sure if she was ready for that. All that drama. All that chance of...

Loss.

"You're gonna have to tell him someday." Dex said and she had a feeling he wasn't just talking about the fact that she liked Keefe.

"Edaline told me. Don't worry she said I couldn't say a word to anyone but... it's a major sacrifice you made. Saving Keefe like that." Dex said and she swallowed,

"It was just a few memories..." just a short kiss, just a new memory that probably broke Keefe's heart more than his mind ever could.

"Sophie you should tell him."

Tell him.

Those words echoed in her mind over and over as she contemplated the sentence.

Could she?

"Come on. You know Keefe. He'll make a big joke of the whole situation. Make you laugh."

Sophie scoffed slightly, more like make her heart melt.

But that's what scared her the most.

Because what if...

What if all this worrying. All this drama. All of those pondering thoughts in the back of her head was useless.

What if it really was so simple and she just wouldn't let herself enjoy it?

What was wrong with her?

"Okay..." Sophie said with a shaky breath.

"I'll tell him."

Somehow. Some way, she would.

She could.

And that's why after Dex left she turned her thoughts to the blonde prankster who had captured her oblivious heart.

She couldn't hide this forever.