headgear

a/n no way, she updated. it's been weeks but she did it!

51.

"You're going to want to sit down."

I drop to the snowy mulch of the hiking trail, my knees falling to the ground. Harry's not far behind, frantically reading my body language. He's still firmly holding my arm.

"Okay, I'm sitting."

"There's good news and bad news," she chuckles. "Which would you like to hear first?"

"Bad news," I breathe, responding instantaneously.

"Bad news is you can only win once."

My face folds together. I look up at Harry, who only mirrors my confused expression. "What does that mean? I don't understand."

"Well that's the good news, Quinn," She gasps, unable to contain her emotions anymore. "You've been nominated--"

"Fuck," My hand flies up to cover my mouth.

"--twice."

I can't process the word.

Twice.

My eyes blink. I stare at the ground. Then it hits me like a freight train.

"Oh my God," is all I can manage, looking back over at Harry again. He's about to die from anticipation. There are veins popping out of his forehead. His eyes are wild, his lips are pressed in a thin line. "Oh my God."

"Isn't it incredible? You should be so proud."

I run my hand through my hair, standing up and brushing the mulch from my jeans. "Whi--ah, which ones?" I turn to glance at Harry again.

"Apeshit, obviously. We knew that one would have Grammy buzz. Pynk, Janelle Monae."

I step away from Harry, feeling an overwhelming urge to pace. My feet carry me back and forth on the patch of ground where we stand. His eyes follow me back and forth. His hands are stuffed deep in his jacket pockets.

"I'm so happy for you Quinn. So, so happy. This is such an amazing opportunity for you."

I stop walking and harshly bite my lip. "Grace," I mumble. She quiets down, waiting for me to continue. "Thank you."

"No, no. You did this all on your own. It doesn't matter what kind of press I can get you. At the end of the day, it's the art. Or I like to believe that's all it takes. You did this on your own."

"Still," I scratch the back of my neck and sniff. "Thank you."

"Well of course," I can hear her blushing through the phone. "Anyway, I'll let you get back to your hike now. I'll call you later with some more details."

We say our goodbyes and I hang up the phone. When I turn to look back at Harry, he's almost chewed a hole in his bottom lip. "Well?" He demands.

I grin sheepishly. "I got nominated."

His eyebrows perk up, and a grin grows on his face to match my own. "No fucking way."

"Twice," I finish.

He can't say anything, just stares blankly at me, his teeth peeking out between his lips.

"Well?" I giggle a little at his stunned silence.

He steps to close the gap between us. His hands reach up and hold my smiling face. He runs his thumbs over my cheeks. He grins, and his eyes flutter shut. He leans in to bring our lips together.