Chapter 19: Paige

I looked at the full moon lighting up the night sky through the window. I wiped my eyes as I hang up the call. After my phone call, I feel like a weight lifted over my shoulders. The thoughts and fears that I bottled up made me feel so trapped. Giana made me see sense. She was ready to help me out. As much as I wanted to stay with Liam, I knew that my time with Liam was limited. I tuck myself into bed and just as I close my eyes. I feel the other side of the bed dip. Liam was here. I smiled as he wrapped his arms around me. He turns me around so that I'm facing his face. He looks at me with a determined look in his eyes.

His warm hands cup my face. My heart thumps wildly in my chest. What was happening? He leans in and I let out a squeak. I hide my face behind my pillow and he kisses my pillow instead. I come out of hiding and see him frown. He has hurt in his eyes. "Liam, I-" I stuttered, trying to apologize. He places his hand on my lips. He kisses my cheek. "No, I'm sorry. I just lost control." He says, gently. I felt a pang in my chest for treating him like this. Liam strokes my hair as we talk and cuddle for some time. Soon, I hear his breaths even out. He falls asleep, his fingers laced with mine.

I close my eyes and silently cry myself to sleep. I hold back sobs. It wasn't fair that Ryder loved Ashley but I needed to let him go. I was damaged. Ashley was strong. My wolf would be a good match for her. I wiped my tears away and turn to look at Liam's sleeping face. Goddess, I was so lucky. I run my hands through his soft hair. Eventually, I fall asleep, my head heavy with thoughts. I hoped that my time with Liam would never end.

I open my eyes to wake up the harsh sunlight entering the room. "Fuck. My head hurts." A voice mutters. I turn to see Liam? No, grey eyes. Ryder was back. I run out of bed. I fetch him a cup of water. Before he says another word, I leave the room. Chase! Ashley! Ryder's back! I mind link them as I hurried out of the packhouse.

I was too scared to face Ryder. Not after everything that we went through. So I ran from the one person that made me my colorless world turn bright with colors.

Ryder P.O.V

I stared after my mate's fleeing figure. GO AFTER HER, DUMBASS! Screams Liam loudly. I roll out of bed and let out a gasp of pain as my vision blurs. The door opens to see Chase and Ashley. Dr. Jones follows them inside. Elder John runs inside. "Ryder!" Ashley screams, making me cover my ears. Dr. Jones gives me medication to ease my headache.

After my head clears, I turn to Ashley. "How was the meeting?" I asked, after our reunion. She grins widely. "Brilliant! She announces, looking incredibly smug. She looks around puzzled. Chase and her mind link each other. "Where is Paige?" She asks, surprised. I gulped nervously. Elder John takes a seat beside me. "She ran away after she noticed I woke up," I said, sighing.

"Why would she? She looked pretty comfortable with Liam." Chase asks, looking confused. I shook my head. "That dumbass here rejected her," Ashley said, groaning. Elder John nods as Chase gapes at me. "IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW. She never called you, Liam. She called you, Alpha. So it wasn't a kinky thing!" Chase says, no longer looking confused. Then he gasps.

"Why the fuck did you reject her?" Chase says, slapping his face. Ashley crosses her arms in anger. Elder John chuckles. "Chase, you know why he did." He says, defending me. Chase huffs and Dr. Jones lets out a sigh. "Well, Beta. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one left in the dark." He declares. I stand up and look at Ashley. "I know I fucked up but I feel like I need to wait for a bit before talking to her, again," I said, thinking about Paige's mother.

I knew that she was overwhelmed with things. Elder John agrees. "Paige is at a very fragile place right now." He says, looking concerned. Chase shakes his head, frustrated. His eyes shift from blue to black as struggles to keep his wolf from surfacing. "The mate bond can take away a lot of energy." Dr. Jones soothes as Chase closes his eyes. He opens them and gives me an exasperated look. "Goddess, why are you guys so ridiculous! Fucking mates!" He yells, storming out of the room. Ashley stifles a laugh. "Paige has all of us wrapped around our fingers and she doesn't even know it." She says, watching Chase stomp away.

Paige's gonna visit her mother, soon. Liam reminds me and I quickly get dressed. "I have to head out," I said, nervously. Ashley chuckles and Elder John gives my back a rough pat. Dr. Jones looks at me worried. "Get her boy!" Ashley declares as I make my way out of my bedroom. I start heading towards WMC and see her walking ahead of me. "Paige," I call her name. She stiffens and turns to look at me. She picks up her pace but I pull her to my side.

"You promised." I reminded her. I did. Liam says, making me sigh. She looks at me and nods, quietly. I watch beside my little mate as she walks inside with fear in her eyes. A frazzled-looking nurse runs out. "MS. SMITH! Thank goddess, you're here!" She exclaims, her voice shaky. I prayed to the Moon Goddess. Paige was already in pain. I tried to convince myself that everything would be okay but I couldn't ignore the little nagging voice in my mind.