Fifty six

Erin felt Jackson shake her awake and she forced her heavy eyes open. Meredith was stood in front of them and she smiled at Erin.

"He's fine," she said. Jackson sighed in relief. "It was an allergy caused by the suture," Meredith continued.

"It was his fault, then? Wow. That's awesome. Why don't they publish that story?" Jackson scoffed.

"Yeah, we know. We get it. The famous grandfather, the legacy he's trying to force on you, and you didn't ask for any of it- trust us, we get it. You're putting up walls and you're avoiding him and you don't want to introduce him to your friends. It was the same with our mother. But if she were here right now in a room upstairs, I would want to go see her and make things right with her. And I definitely would want to go learn from her. And you still can," Meredith told Jackson.

He looked down at Erin and she nodded tiredly.

"She's right, you know. She always is," she mumbled. Jackson sighed and nodded.

"You want me to take you home or do you want to come with your friends to meet my grandfather again?" he said.

Erin winced as she uncurled herself from the chair, her back clicking as she stood up. She checked her phone. She could go home and sleep for four hours before she'd have to wake up again. Or she could stay here, sneak away after ten minutes with Harper Avery and sleep for almost five hours. That sounded better than going home.

"I'll get some coffee and then I'll be up," Erin said.

"I'll come with you. I think my head is going to fall off," Meredith said. Jackson nodded and watched the two sisters walk away. "What are you thinking?" Meredith asked knowingly.

"I don't know what I'm thinking. He said he only told her about my method and she passed my paper on to his grandfather but surely he must've said something else to make his mom even think worth mentioning who I am. I'm a tiny baby fish in an enormous ocean. They're the sharks. What do they want to do with little Nemo over here?" Erin asked.

"You're not little Nemo. You're like, Marlin," Meredith said.

"No, you're Marlin. I'm Nemo with my dodgy fin trying to swim around and not go off the edge," Erin huffed.

"Enough Nemo. How are you feeling?" Meredith asked.

"About what?" Erin said.

"The thing we're ignoring," Meredith said.

"We're still ignoring it," Erin said.

"Have you ever considered that she might feel the same?" Meredith said, paying the coffee man for two coffees.

"We're just friends. I have a boyfriend, she has a girlfriend, it's just friends," Erin said.

"Okay," Meredith shrugged.

"Okay," Erin eyed her, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Mark's trying to kill Alex," Lexie slammed down at the cafeteria with Meredith, Erin and Cristina.

"What?" Erin mumbled through her sandwich.

"Well, I think I mentioned sleeping with Alex was a bad idea," Meredith said.

"No, it's not a bad idea. It's happy and easy. You know how much mental energy Mark took up? You know, I-I am telling you, ending it is the best thing that coulda happened to me, and for him. Do you know how much happier he'd be if he could just move on?" Lexie ranted.

"Looked to me like he was trying to pick up Teddy," Meredith said.

"Mm? Well, sure. Oh, he'll sleep with her. He slept with Addison. He'll screw anything that moves. But what, I'm supposed to check into a convent? Why is he hanging on like this?" Lexie cried.