twenty nine: the dam

"Haechan-ah."

"Hm?"

Eunwol smiles softly when he hums- feeling the vibration of his chest against her head as she lies on it.

"Haechannie."

"What is it?"

Her smile widens and she listens to the strong beats of his heart- ear pressing against it. She lifts her head up briefly to check on his peaceful resting mien- his eyes shut tight to block the light hovering above the bed.

"Lee Donghyuck!"

His lids flutter open and he stares down at her. "Ya, wanna die?"

Eunwol snickers- shaking her head and sitting up.

"Why'd you keep calling, then?" He too, lifts his back from the bed.

A thoughtful expression forms on the girl's face yet, her answer is only, "Just because."

Out of the blue, a screech sounds from outside and they rush to the window- thinking of the unfortunate considering it's late at night.

But the moment they reach the window of the bedroom, their concern shifts to jealousy.

A pair of lovers pass by with the girl being hung over the shoulder of the boy and he playfully spins her around.

"Yah! Stop it!" She giggles and lets out a shriek when he hops- giving her a moment of flight and fright.

The male shakes his head, a mischievous grin formed. "Why would I?? This is for stealing my nuggets, you robber!"

"It was only one!"

"Yeah, one SERVING!"

Their voices quieten as they further away and the other pair watching from inside feel their hearts ache.

"Wahh, must be nice," Eun enviously comments and Donghyuck brings his gaze down to her.

He observes as she stares at the solitude of the street with blue swirling in her orbs- hoping, yearning.

Donghyuck then, turns his head around and scans her bedroom wall opposite them that's adorned with NCT posters.

Above her bed are polaroids and prints of him and her together hung on a linen string.

He looks to the shelves where her assorted collection of albums are arranged and it puts a frown on his face.

It reminds him of their undeniable reality- him, an idol, and her, a staff.

Just showing a small bit of affection already stirred up the articles.

An act of good relationship such as having meals and hanging out is called a scandal.

And dating, a normal among many of human activities is labelled as a crime in the life of an idol.

This cursed reality just makes Donghyuck so infuriated. He loathes it and a fire ignites.

"Eunwol," he calls and the girl looks.

"Yeah?"

"Should we date?"

At that moment, her gears stopped.

Date? What date? The day's date? Or the fruit date?

If not then...

"Date? As in, the romantic thing?" She interrogates, perplexed.

He nods vigorously with expecting eyes. "Will you be... my lover?"

Usually, she'd cringe, curl her fingers and toes at the cheesiness of his words but this, it's completely different.

Not a single hint of jest can be found on him and her round eyes stare in disbelief- heart racing in a way she never knew it could yet, the shock paralyzes her.

Then, just like him before, reality dawns on her.

Her head instantly wilts and the joy falters. "But, the article. They're suspectingㅡ"

The heat coming from his touch on her cheek melts her words and concerns away.

Donghyuck slowly slides his hand down to her jaw to gently lift her head up again- needing to see her.

A comforting smile stretches on his face. "It's okay. Right now, right here, it's all about us. The world outside is powerless and even after we go outside, I'll never let you go."

Eunwol stays mute, unsure and honestly, afraid of what might happen to him if she does accept.

What if people find out?

His fans- what will they think?

"It's just so frustrating," he suddenly, croaks out and she focuses on him- only to get another round of surprise at his glossy eyes with corners already welling up.
"It's so suffocating to live like this. I just, I don't want you to go."

Just one second ago, he was burning up with fervent determination and now, he's tearing up- afraid of having to part with her.

And only then, can she clearly see that the tough stone dam he's been using to store his raging emotions is now crumbling.

"Lee Donghyuck," she grasps his hand and by her hold alone, the tsunami surging within him calms into a silent stream. "I'd be the stupidest person on Earth if I said no."