CHAPTER 9

Mariana.

A couple days passed by with her huddled up in what had become her room, gnawing her nails off in stress. Logan had insisted to postpone the battle of sexes until she had made a full recovery, and finally the the big day had arrived. 

She was so nervous she couldn't stomach solids. Too late to chicken-out. Her life was particularly at the stake here. 

No pressure. 

Mariana lifted her head when a gentle knock sounded through the room. "Mari? Can I come in?" Natalie's voice came from the other side. She didn't wait to be invited, marching inside with determination only a pregnant woman could master. "How are you feeling?" 

"As ready as I'll ever be." 

The entire pack was hyped. Rumors spread like wildfire (thanks Gwen), and now there were two camps - party Mariana and party Logan. The male population had gone into uproar when they heard about the fight. Majority were placing bets who would win. Odds weren't exactly in her favor. One guy was so confident she would lose, he bet a thousand bucks on Logan and bragged about it. Asshole. 

"I still can't believe you are doing this." Natalie confessed.

"Me neither." 

She was fighting literally for women rights, talk about taking feminism to the next level. 

"I think it's very brave of you. I'm secretly rooting for you." 

I did not see that coming. 

Natalie gave off an impression of being loyal to existing rules. She seemed content as it was. 

"You seem shocked." The woman smiled softly, caressing her large stomach. "Our world isn't safe," She continued, "If something happened to Max, I wouldn't be able to defend my children. I would give my life for them, sure, but if I was faced with hunters like you were, I wouldn't have survived." The bitterness in her tone was potent. 

"I did get shot, remember?" Mariana stood up from the windowsill she was perched on.

"But you are alive. You knew how to fight them." Natalie looked deep into her eyes, serious. "I hope you win today." 

That struck deep. Sudden weight landed on her shoulders. This wasn't just her life on the stake. With that realization also came determination and strength. 

Mariana set her hand on Natalie's shoulder. "I will win. I promise." 

The two exchanged a smile. 

"You better, now let's go." 

She sucked in a deep breath. There goes nothing. 

'The Battle Royale' was set in a pack house gym. It was large enough to fit all the willing spectators. And there were fucking many of them. Werewolves were gathering on the sides,  cramming up the space like sardines. 

Navy blue matts were laid out in the middle of the floor. Logan was already there, standing proud and tall. He looked absolutely mouth-watering in black basketball shorts and sleeveless top that exposed every curve of fine muscles swelling underneath his skin. His body was one of a warrior, strong and large. 

I'm fucked. Mariana didn't let that emotion slip onto her face. He was distracting her with his lady-killer looks. She could return the favor. 

As she stepped onto the matts, the jacket she wore was discarded to the side, leaving her in a sports bra and leggings. Worked like magic. Logan's intense stare flicked over her form and his jaw flexed. He liked what he was seeing.