Chapter 17 - Desperate

The day has finally arrived. The moment when all babies are all just cute and adorable. A moment when all the small child wants to do is smile and chuckle at anything that's within their line of sight. At four months old the little burrito is a ray of sunshine. His baby fat had finally made an appearance. He was starting to figure out the mechanism of his whole body and was restless. His laughter was like a disease that could easily affect anyone nearby. The little thing had even managed to roll over by himself now which was very amusing to watch.

Some servants would even stop whatever they were doing just to take a peek at the little prince. Everywhere that he was people took the time to glance back twice at him. Some even more, which after a while they finally decide to stand idly by a few feet behind the prince, completely forgetting whatever they were doing minutes ago or even where they were rushing to. Even the Emperor forgets himself and is always in a constant good mood whenever the burrito is around.

In the past few months, the Emperor had created a routine of spending as much time with the burrito as possible. Any chance he had he would spend it with the burrito which means she and the Emperor have been spending more time in the same room together because wherever the burrito is she would be close by. The relationship she had with the Emperor was still new and difficult to explain. She could exchange a few words with him now and then without having to worry that he might actually do something crazy like throwing her into the cells for speaking her mind. Instead, he seemed as if trying to get along with her. The few questions that he had for her seemed like he genuinely cared a lot about her with the daily, 'How are you?' and 'How was your day?'

That kind of thought really shouldn't be in her head. It was a sign that she was slowly letting her guard down around him. He was the Emperor and she was the Empress. She was not just known as the mother to his oldest and currently the only heir to the throne but also the mother to the nation of the people of Elyrion. Her responsibility was as heavy and important as his. The most powerful woman of the land they were standing on shouldn't be having such selfish and narrow-minded thoughts. The Emperor was not only her husband. She will always have to share him with the countless concubines that he kept in their backyard. If not them, then the nation itself. Although, there were no rumors about him with any of them the possibility of the future was never certain.

What she hoped to last is his relationship with his first heir. She couldn't imagine for the day that the burrito would realize that his father was just any other ordinary man with urges of his own. It is only a matter of time before there will be news of a pregnant concubine and he wouldn't be around their little family anymore. Many wives in her position would be saddened by the thought of her husband doting on another woman's child rather than her own. This also seemed to apply to the Empress. Ophelia only prayed that she could give her son all the love and support that his Emperor father couldn't afford to, but that was all wishful thinking. One can only imagine what a jealous and cunning concubine who was adored by the Emperor can do.

The only other person in the nation that she could count on no matter the situation is her father. The General of the Great Border. It had been months since she last heard from him. She wasn't even sure whether the news of her safe delivery had made it to him or not. It wouldn't shock her if it had but nonetheless, she should let him know personally about his grandson.

Ophelia looks up from below her eyebrows at the scene before her. The Emperor was so busy with the little boy in his arms who now has a constant itch to grab anything and everything within the reach of his grabby hands. The nannies and maids standing close by fidgeted every once in a while, so prepared to reach for the prince when the Emperor finally grew tired or irritated with him which so far he hadn't. Yet.

"Your Imperial Majesty, if you don't mind me asking", she began, "Have you talked to my lord father, General Southern, about the birth of his grandson yet?"

The Emperor glanced in her direction. Burrito grumbled for the attention of his father which the Emperor had to take a moment to adjust him in his arms and comfort him while struggling to keep his professional image, "Yes, I have. The moment he was born. The General has requested to meet him as soon as he is available to get away from the matter at hand."

Ophelia thought for a moment.

"If it's alright with you, I'd like to join you on your yearly trip towards the border this year. We can bring the little prince with us too so he can meet with lord father. Wouldn't it be nice? The people would also be able to take a closer glance at their prince."

The Emperor furrowed his eyebrows. "There are countless things that need to be changed if the prince and yourself join the trip to the borders. Won't waiting for your lord father here at the palace be the much safer option between the two?", the Emperor once again shifted burrito to a more comfortable position, "Plus, aren't you still recouping from childbirth? I don't think the long hours sitting in the carriage will be comfortable for either of you."

"But, your imperial highness, won't this act express how excited you are to have the general's grandson as a part of the imperial dynasty? My father will appreciate it greatly if you allowed me and the young prince to come along on your trip."

"The fact of how dangerous this trip still stands."

"The prince has finally reached his fourth month and when the day of the trip arrives he will be older and more easily cared for by the nannies. Don't worry about our safety. If you're still concerned, then just ask lord father for more knights and soldiers to escort us all the way there. I'm sure if my father knows that both his beloved daughter and grandchild will be a part of the convoy he would happily send some of his men to us", convinced Ophelia once more, hoping he might consider her idea.

The Emperor was quiet for a moment. His gaze never leaves his heir who continues being selfish for his father's attention. Ophelia hoped, no, prayed that he would allow them to travel with him to the border. God knows she needs to get out from being inside this cage of a palace. Hopefully, the sight of her loving father will ease her worries.

"Fine", his deep voice startled Ophelia out of her thinking. "But, whatever the marshal says you will follow, do you understand?"

"Yes", Ophelia excitedly sat straighter in her seat.

The Emperor sighs heavily, "I'll let him know about the change of plans and send someone to tell you about the details of the trip. I should really head back", the nursemaids swiftly stood forward but instead of passing the burrito to any of them he instead passed the child to her. Burrito had made a few disagreeable noises, clearly displeased that his warm father isn't carrying him anymore.

"Yes, until next time, your imperial highness", Ophelia manages to curtsy while safely holding the burrito in her other hand.

Edited by Mei.