seventeen

Luci

"I told you to stay away from her!" Khalil screamed.

Saint stood up abruptly and dusted the gravel that had littered onto his pants. He was holding back. The sound of his chest heaving was loud and I could tell his body was reacting to Khalil's attack.

If Saint were to react and counter Khalil's hit, a fight would surely ensue between them. I didn't doubt Saint's control over his powers, but I knew when it came down to it that Khalil would kill him.

Saint, with his fist and jaw clenched, ran over to Khalil. He immediately raised his fist and in a blink of an eye landed a punch right onto Khalil's cheek.

He stumbled a bit but did not fall. Cupping his cheek in his hand he growled and lunged towards Saint. Eyes flaring red, I could sense the coldness that was going to erupt from him any minute now.

He gripped Saint's throat and lifted him up a few inches above the ground. Khalil was roughly four inches taller than Saint. His build was a bit broader and muscles more toned. But seeing how he effortlessly picked him up it was as if he grew three times his size in a matter of seconds.

Taking a deep breath I made my way over to Khalil. Saint was sputtering and trying to catch a breath as his airway was being restricted.

"Put him down Khalil," I demanded.

He wouldn't even spare me a glance. Instead he gripped Saint's throat tighter. Any more pressure and I was certain that bones would be broken.

"Khalil," I repeated. "Put him down."

His head whipped around to face me. It was then I saw his eyes were clouded with red.

He was livid.

"I don't take orders from you," he barked. "I told him to leave you alone and he didn't listen."

Saint kept sputtering. His hands latched into Khalil's wrist as he tried to pull him off his throat.

"You're going to kill him if you continue!" I yelled.

"That's the plan," he retorted.

Any second longer and Saint would go unconscious. He wasn't getting any air and his face started to turn red. Khalil was adamant about punishing Saint and I knew there was only one way to get out of this situation.

I walked over to Khalil and placed a hand on his arm. Moving it up and down I turned his head to face me and softened my gaze. I locked eye contact with him and stroked his cheek.

"Please put him down," I whispered. "Please."

He faltered a bit when I batted my eyelashes. I wasn't sure what I was doing but I had seen Celia do it hundreds of times. She would use her looks and charm to get what she wanted frequently. At first I thought it was simply because of her beauty. But now that I knew she was a demon, it seemed to be something more than that.

Khalil slowly let Saint down before dropping him completely to the ground. Saint coughed out trying to catch his breath and a red mark formed around his throat.

Khalil's gaze didn't fall from mine. Instead it seemed like he was in a trance. I wasn't sure what exactly I did but it seemed like it had work. His stare was deep and longing. My hand fell from his face and landed on Saint.

I ran over to him to help him up until I felt a hand pull me back into his chest.

"Where did you learn to do that?" Khalil whispered in my ear.

He was too close. His voice raised the hairs on the back of my neck. It was melodious but also daunting; a perilous trap.

"Celia's done it a few times. Seems to work on guys a lot."