19

Charlie wasn't at school today or any day this week actually.

I'd left several messages for her over the course of five days but never getting a response. Going to check on her was a no go because the amount of school work that had back logged was beginning to be a bit overwhelming with deadlines one day after the next.

My mom had been back home for a couple days also, nothing big just a two day vacation and then she was off again and I was left to my work.

I figured Charlie was just busy but when I knocked on the door to her house and Cara opened it, I knew that wasn't the case.

I felt guilty for not visiting sooner, seeing Charlie everyday had quickly become routine but a week without her to catch up on school felt like forever.

And when I saw her laying on her bed like that, face smushed into a pillow, body tired from exhaustion, I felt even worse.

"You're here" She murmured, ghost of a smile on her face as she looked up and saw me.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner, I've been busy with stuff for school and-"

" it's okay" she reached out and held my hand as I eased onto her bed.

"I know you would have if you could"

"I tried calling" I hurried to explain myself even though she said it was alright.

"I know, I heard them but I couldn't" She sighed softly, willing me to understand and I did. She couldn't get to the phone.

"That's okay" And it was, how could I be mad at her for something she couldn't control?

"My mom's been gone all week and Cara doesn't stay very long so I can never get someone to bring me the phone " She continued softly, stopping every couple words to catch her breath.

The phone had been left on the window seat instead of it's usual position on her bedside table.

"I forgot it there when I was "She stopped. The word unspoken but loud nonetheless.

Okay.

I got up, moving the phone back to it's correct position before sitting down again.

Charlie wasn't in school the following Monday and I found  myself calling her in my study period.

After four rings she picked up.

"Hey" I called down the line.

"Hi" She sounded tired and slightly breathless.

"Sorry for calling I know you're not feeling-"

"I'm glad that you called, I miss you"

I was silent for a couple moments as my lips tugged into an unconscious smile.

"Okay " I said softly.

I was sitting between a row of books at the very back of the library, watching the occasional person walk by.

"Are you blushing right now?"She accused, a teasing edge to her voice.

"No" I whisper yelled, denying the fact that she was correct.

"You totally are" She chuckled softly.

"You're imagining things" I stubbornly suggested before someone shushed me from an aisle away.

"Are you in the library right now?"She asked.

"Yeah, I'm hiding from the guidance counselor" I know I sounded like a big baby with all the grumbling but I couldn't help it.

"You're not!"She laughed.

"Yeah, she wants to talk to me about 'feelings' before graduation "

"Oh" She was silent for a moment.

"I almost forgot that was happening " I could tell her mood had switched to something more solemn.

"I never asked, where do you plan to go to college? I know they sent out acceptance letters a while ago" She mumbled thoughtfully.

I was almost afraid to answer because of how far away it was.

"NYU"

"Wow that's amazing Gia, I'm really happy for you "

"Thanks, What about you?" It was a reflex to ask back those kinds of questions but I immediately wished I hadn't.

I closed my eyes and clenched my phone listening to the silence, the overwhelming urge to profusely apologize resting heavily on my chest.

"I didn't really plan to go to college because of how I was progressing as a swimmer, guess I should've planned ahead" She laughed , no humor behind the sound.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked that, it  was insensitive " I caved and apologized.

"Why? Because I'm sick? Don't ever feel like you can't ask me something because of that, okay?"

"Okay"

If someone asked me to describe Charlie Gray using one would I'd pick understanding.

"Anyways you should totally go talk to the guidance counsellor about your feelings" She mocked and a groan slipped from me unintentionally.

"The sad part is I might actually have to or she'll keep looking for me "

"Just get it over with. Come over after school if you can though yeah?"

"Yeah?"

We spent an extra five minutes on the phone, neither one of us wanting to hang up until I heard the guidance counselor, Ms. Blake calling my name loudly from the front of the library. I whispered a quick goodbye to Charlie before moving out of my hiding spot, a genuine smile on my face.