Chapter 14

How Our Eyes Speak

Carlton House, London

"Her Majesty Queen Charlotte, His Royal Highness The Prince Regent, Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, and Her Majesty's esteemed nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia."

The room full of men from the House of Lords with their wives, and in the middle, was Miss Daphne Bridgerton, with her mother, Violet Bridgerton, waiting for the four royals to arrive.

"Why do I have to be here?" George whispered to Charlotte, who stood next to him, and simply nodded at everyone who made a curtsy of a bow at the four royals. "This does not concern me at all."

"If I cannot live peacefully in my depression and locked in my room with an endless supply of macaroons, then neither can you," his sister replied, without taking her eyes off the people that surrounded her, and with her smile never leaving her face.

"Miss Bridgerton, I find myself in raptures over your acceptance of my invitation to the palace," Friedrich said with a smile.

"You flatter me, Your Highness," Daphne smiled back.

"I cannot help it. You are perfection itself," he said and Charlotte internally rolled her eyes.

"Ach du lieber Himmel!" Charlotte stated with frustration, and the biggest fake smile on her face, and also, received a discreet, yet brooding glare from her mother. Everyone thought she was just excited. Good Heavens! "Oh, my dear cousin, offer her your gift."

"I have brought you a gift," he nodded at Daphne, not noticing his cousin's intentions for everything to be over.

Brimsley opened the box he had in his hands, and Friedrich took the diamond necklace. And just when he was putting it in her neck, Daphne seemed to have zoned out. She let out a sigh as she placed her hand on the necklace and she closed her eyes.

Then, she gasped and turned around, and stared with wide eyes at the Prince in front of her.

"Miss Bridgerton, are you unwell?" Friedrich asked her, and she slowly smiled.

"I'm perfectly well. Of course," she breathed tremulously. "This necklace is...quite well too."

"She will make a lovely princess, will she not?" The Queen smirked.

"Of course, Your Majesty," one of the Lords nodded.

"Welcome to the world of crowns and diamonds, my dearest Miss Bridgerton," Charlotte walked towards the table of pastries and grabbed a macaroon. "We certainly have quite the fun here."

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed.

But Miss Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud.

Bridgerton House, London

For the past week, things were tense at the Bridgerton household. The second eldest would not share a word with the Viscount, as much as the lord tried to.