Chapter 13: Under Pressure

"You shouldn't be here."

Her brows were scrunched in concentration as the bird attempted, for the third time, to escape.

"Stay...still," she grunted as she flicked more dirt its way.

Caw! Caw!

Another whip of dirt and the bird was finally in her grasp. 

"Let go of me you fool!"

"A talking crow..."

"Of course I speak. Now let go of me, halfwit!"

"You know, if you keep insulting my intelligence, I may have to squeeze a little harder and see what pops out."

"Not before I pluck your eyes out, girl."

The sound of rustling dust grew louder as she slowly brought the crow closer to her face, tauntingly tightening her hold.

"What's your name?"

"Tenshi," she clicked out.

"Meeting a little early aren't we?"

"Yeah, well I don't doubt Itachi for wanting to make sure you kept your end of the deal."

She feigned hurt, slightly loosening her grip as Tenshi cautiously cocked her head. 

"I have a message."

"I'm being watched, you know."

"And we're taking care of it."

"Kakashi?"

"Kakashi?"

"Distracted."

It was Kintsugi's turn to cock her head as her forehead crease. The last time she had counted she still had at least eight more days until the Akatsuki showed up at her door.

"What do you want?"

The faint sound of dust, and a few crushed feathers, rapidly gathering back into the jar she had in the middle of the floor, were the only things heard in that moment as the crow glared back.

"The tip panned out. You've less than four days before they'll be heading back and they want more results."

"You do realize money doesn't actually grow on trees? I didn't expect any visit until at least four more days than that."

"That sounds like a you problem."

"He's not making it easy," she said with a sigh, massaging her temple.

"Like I said, four days, otherwise you're just a liability? "

Tenshi's eyes glinted.

"Get out," she sniffed, not bothering to ask about their sudden push. If they were in a bind, she needed to hurry.