Chapter 3 - So, the Cute Boy's Name is Jack

- Chapter 3 - Les is Ten, Almost. Get it Right, David.
Warnings: Weasel.
Third Person POV

David cringes as Wiesel continues scolding him.

I should've never come here. Why did I have to do this?

David held Les back, seeing as his little brother, who was quite overprotective, was about to go speak up and try to stop Wiesel.

That was, until the cute boy and Les' new hero (it had been a guy who made cards before) spoke up.

"The new kid's right Weasel," He states, David's papers in his hand. "You gave him nineteen. I'm sure it was an honest mistake on account that Oscar can't count to twenty with his shoes on."

The boys start laughing as Oscar shoves the last paper to David, scowling.

David walks a bit away from who he heard was named Oscar, feeling his glare in his back, while he neatly organizes his papers again.

"Here, now take a hike." Wiesel snarls, gesturing for him to move along.

"Give the new kid 50 more papes," David's savior tells Wiesel, putting another dime on the box.

Wiesel looked to be done with the whole thing and like he hated David now.

So much for a good first impression...

"I don't want more papes." David responds, brushing it off.

The Newsies stare at him in shock.

The older boy shares a confused look with the one with the crutch. "What kinda Newsie don't want more papes?!" He questions.

Wiesel tries to take the money that Jack placed on the box without drawing any attention, but was noticed.

Race and Specs cross their arms, throwing him looks.

Specs pats Wiesel's back, putting his hand out for the money.

Wiesel rolls his eyes, slapping the money into Specs' hand.

"I'm no charity case." David grabs his younger brother's hand. "I don't even know you."

Les stops in his tracks, pulling out of David's grip. "His names Jack!" He exclaims, pointing to Jack.

David had to stop himself from melting from how well the name worked with Jack's looks and glaring daggers into his brother's soul.

I hate nine-year olds, David mentally decides, though probably already knowing this.

Les makes Davey bend down, cupping his hand over his mouth and Davey's ear. "I'm almost ten. Get it right." He whispers.

David would've rolled his eyes, but he was too confused and shocked that Les knew what he was thinking.

"What-"

Les smiles cheekily at him, his arms innocently behind his back.

David just decides not to question it.

"This here's the famous Jack Kelly," The boy David heard was called Crutchie exclaims. "He once escaped jail on the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage!" He adds.

David rolls his eyes. I bet that's a lie.

For Les however, you would've thought Jack was just flying, Les thought he was so cool.

Jack laughs and looks down at the little boy. "How old are ya, kid?" He asks.

Les starts counting his fingers. "Um, I'm ten! Almost..." the kid responds.

Jack nods, before crouching down to squish his little face. "If anyone asks, kid, you're seven. The younger you are, the more papes you sell. And if we're gonna be partners-"

"Who said we want a partner?" David interrupts, crossing his arms.

Les glares at him when Jack pulled away, having thought being touched by his hero was the best thing ever.

David rolled his eyes, like he did a lot at his brother.

"Selling with Jack is a chance of a lifetime," Crutchie tells him, shocked that he'd even think about declining his offer. "You learn from him, you learn from the best." He states.

"If he's the best, what does he need with me?" David questions, still not convinced.

"Cause you got a little brother and I don't," Jack states, squishing Les' face as if to prove a point. "with that face we could sell a thousand papes a week."

Crutchie's smile falters a bit.

Another boy (Mush) rubs Crutchie's back. "You are out brother, Crutchie. You know Jack is just trying to prove a point because he doesn't like admitting that he's wrong." He reminds Crutchie.

Crutchie nods, slightly.

The 'Racer' Newsie walks over to them, the two of them hugging Crutchie together.

David frowns a bit at that. He seems to be hurting his 'brother's feelings.

"Look sad, kid." Jack tells Les.

Said boy sticks his bottom lip out, pouting at Jack.

Jack laughs. "Oh, we're going to make millions."

David rolls his eyes, such a lie.

"This is my brother, David, and I'm Les!" The little boy, Les, introduces himself, grinning at Jack.

"Nice to meet you, Davey." Jack greets.

David's eyes betrayed him trying to hide his confusion at the nickname.

Jack chuckles. Clearly this kid has never had a nickname, never mind been called 'Davey' before.

My two bits come off the top and we split everything else 70-30." Jack tells David, looking through a paper.

Les crosses his arms, looking up at him. "50-50! You wouldn't try to pull a fast one on a little kid." He exclaims.

Jack looks at him, a bit shocked.

The boys around them chuckle, David included.

Specs looks up at Les from his paper, a bit shocked and impressed.

Jack bends down to Les' height. "60-40, and that is my final offer." He states, poking Les in the chest.

Les looks to David, who shrugs, before beaming at Jack. "Deal!" He exclaims.

Jack spits in his hand.

Les does the same.

Jack and Les spit-shake.

David's face scrunches up in disgust. "That's disgusting." He comments.

Jack laughs. "It's just business." He turns to face the other Newsies, standing on a crate. "Newsies! Hit the streets! The sun is up, the headline stinks, and this kid ain't getting any younger!"

Les laughs, while David rolls his eyes.

Jack jumps down from the crate, smiling at Les, before looking at David.

Jack looks David up and down.

David blushes a bit.

Jack smirks at him, shooting him a wink.

David's eyes widen slightly, his face heating up a good bit more than it already had.

He heard snickering from behind him, but ignored it for his bets interest.

Jack chuckles. The new kid is a bit cute.

Jack turns to face Les. "Come on kid, I'll teach you the ropes of selling." He states.

Les beams at him.

Jack leads Les out of the square, leaving David a bit shocked and flustered, before he quickly followed them.

The cute boy- Jack- his name is Jack- is cute, but that doesn't mean I trust him with my brother. David thinks to himself.

1108 Words