Thirty-Seven: Pathfinder and a Wildfire

"Mister, are you a pirate?" The little boy asks Demo, the ninth child today to ask him that.

"Nae, lad, " Demo responds in his Scottish accent, always ever confusing to the kids. I elbow Demo with a smile and shrug. "That's a joke, I am."

"I like pirates, I think they're cool," the boy says. "Your eyepatch makes you cool because you look like a pirate."

"Jacob!" His mom pulls him closer to her. "I'm so sorry, sir."

"Dinnae worry aboot it." The woman walks off, and Demo turns to me, holding his arms up. "Dae I look like a pirate, Miss Fredrickson?"

"I promise, Mr. Pirate-Mann, you look so much like a pirate that it hurts," I giggle. ScadWater is a quiet place, tranquil land for miles with cornfields and farmland. The community is still establishing itself in terms of still getting houses built and assembling a neighborhood watch and committee, but they- at the very least- have their tourist attraction prepared. That's what we're going to be doing today for Halloween PR, leading a group through the ScadWater Corn Maze.

It's hotter than I'd like today, but it's manageable since I went the Miss Pauling route today with the grape-purple button-up dress and belt on the waist. Wearing stocking would've been a bit uncomfy, so I just wore knee-high socks instead with my mary-janes. I'm fine in any-height heels as long as they aren't skinny like stilettos. I hate stilettos.

Only a portion of the team could make it to our first day of PR, but it's better than coming alone. Demo and I haven't spent much time together, so this could be a great opportunity to get to know him better. Spy was supposed to come as well, but he chickened out and took up a contract to get out of coming. Pyro took his place last minute, and his "costume" is either a hit or miss with the young children. He came as a dragon by wearing a hood with horns, wings, and tail over his flame-retardant suit, fitting with what his class entails. I didn't dress up because I'm here as more of a supervisor than a face for Team Fortress. Or should I say Reliable Excavation Demolition?

The sun is close to setting. We've been here for a few hours already to get acquainted with some of the future residents and mayor, Carter Heartwell. He's unpleasant and gives me an iffy feel, but I had to play nice long enough until he set us free to meet with the landowner of the Corn Maze. Her name is Julie Matt, and she's a bit more on the timid side. She has two sons, both of whom are going to be in our group. We're leading kids through the maze of a sort of Halloween scavenger-hunt. Kids find clues alongside candy and navigate their way out. Demo dressed, certainly, for the occasion as a pirate as they're well known for following a map and finding treasure, and dragons are known for harboring large amounts of such with Pyro. I think. We're there to chaperone and make sure everyone is safe and accounted for. A bit laborious, but I'm just glad I get a break from all of the craziness that happens at the fort.

"Hey," Julie rolls around to the front of Town Hall in her truck and calls me over to her. Demo and I step down the staircase and stand at her window, Pyro leaning forward in her passenger seat and waving. "It'd be rude of me to have you guys walk, so I brought the truck for a bit of a hayride. I'm sure the kids'll love it."

"I'm sure they will!" I encourage. "Do you want me to go round up the parents?"

"Sure, sure. Don't worry, I'll tell them what we're gonna do, so just worry about getting them out here."

I nod and hold onto the strap of my body purse as I turn around to go back up the stairs. Opening the doors, cool air rushes out into the open. I step into the dimly-lit lobby with glossy white floors and patchily painted eggshell walls. After gaining everyone's attention, I lead everyone outside and to Julie's truck, Pyro now sitting on a hay bale in the attached flatbed. The side rails are tall to prevent anyone or thing from falling out. Julie begins to brief the parents that we'll take their kids for a couple of hours, and they're free to come and pick them up whenever since we'll have walkie-talkies to communicate from within the maze.