Fifty seven

Erin, Jackson and April Kepner walked across the catwalk to meet Meredith, who had just waved away Cristina and a man.

"Is that Thomas Evans from Baylor?" Jackson asked Meredith.

"Yes, but don't get too excited. He's only here for one case," Meredith said.

"Oh, are you sure? Because I overheard Chief Shepherd discussing the fact that Dr. Altman doesn't have a permanent contract. So, it would actually be a really genius move on the chief's part to go in and seize that opportunity to-" April started.

"Oh, here we go again," Jackson sighed.

"What?" Meredith and Erin asked.

"Shut up," April hissed. Jackson turned to Meredith.

"She thinks your husband walks on water," he said. Meredith and Erin turned to April with raised eyebrows.

"I don't. I don't. I, um... No, I'm... I mean, it's... it's a professional thing. It's, um... It's a mentor thing. He's... he's just my mentor because he's... he's married... to you. And you guys are... are so great and, um, together... together as a married couple, and you... you... you are so great," April stuttered.

"Wow," Jackson whispered.

"I, um, I do... I do think that your husband is brilliant, but I'm... I'm sure that you think that, too, so... That's right. Okay. That, um..." April turned and walked away before she could embarrass herself any more.

"Thank you," Jackson called after her. Erin laughed loudly.

"God, I am so glad my boyfriend doesn't work here. Imagine having to watch people fawn over him all day," Erin said.

"Well, imagine how I feel. People are fawning over my husband and my baby sister. I can't win," Meredith said. Erin's pager beeped and she looked down.

"Oh, it's Arizona. I'm on baby Sloan duty today," Erin said.

"Mention the woman and the woman shall appear," Meredith smirked at Erin, who rolled her eyes.

"Have fun," Jackson said.

"You, too," Erin waved and ran down the hallway to get there.

"Erin?" Arizona said into the phone.

"Hey, Zona, are you alright?" Erin said, holding her phone to her ear with her shoulder as she tried to sort out the papers she was reading on some experimental pediatric surgery in Japan, because she couldn't sleep.

"Can I come and stay with you tonight?" Arizona asked.

"Yeah, of course. Jesse isn't here and I'm at home. Is it a get-drunk kind of night or a cry-it-all-out kind of night?" Erin said.

"It's an I-need-my-best-friend kind of night," Arizona said.

"Come over. I'll be here," Erin said. Arizona ended the call and Erin jogged upstairs. "Mermaid?" she called.

"Er-bear?" Meredith called back.

"Zona's staying over tonight," she said.

"Have fun," Derek called.

"She will," Meredith laughed.

"Shut up!" Erin rolled her eyes fondly.

Erin headed into her room and quickly grabbed some pyjamas for Arizona to put on when she got there. She got into her own pyjamas, an oversized t-shirt and a pair of shorts, and pulled a hoodie on over them. She threw her hair into a bun and made sure her blanket wasn't tangled because Arizona hated tangled blankets.