chapter sixty-three

I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. 

Here, on this mission, or just in life anymore. 

Like what is the point? You-Know-Who is going to be preparing an insanely large battalion and we have only found one Horcrux, Slytherin's locket. 

It's been... maybe about three weeks since Ron left and nothing feels good anymore. Everyone has been slightly downcast, even without wearing the locket. 

The hum of the radio next to me is the only sound I can hear, as the entire room is dead silent. Hermione is sat outside by a small fire and Harry is sat in a small camping chair, a book in his lap.

"Here is the list of confirmed dead or missing wizards and witches," George's voice recites on the radio, his voice bringing tears to my eyes. God, I miss the twins. I miss Molly, Arthur, Ginny, Neville, Luna and Draco... especially Draco as I cannot remember the last time I saw or spoke with him. Thinking of my friend, I look down to the red rose and gold charm necklace that he gave me for Christmas last year, while I was in the Hospital Wing.

I clutch it tightly to my chest and shut my eyes, forcing myself to try and think of happier times, but my mind is clouded with all the bad times. 

Cedric being murdered.

Barty Crouch Jr. invading Hogwarts disguised as Mad-Eye.

Umbridge taking over the school and torturing students.

Bellatrix killing Sirius.

My encounter with Cormac McLaggen. 

Draco having the Dark mark forced onto his arm. 

Bellatrix setting The Burrow on fire.

Dumbledore's death.

The countless times I've been hurt or injured and now, we're all on the brink of war. 

"Aurora?" My eyes snap open to see Harry knelt in front of me, his large emerald green eyes looking deep into mine. He carefully places both his hands on either of my cheeks and gently rubs them, which is when I realise that my eyes are burning from crying and my hands are shaking. Harry sees this and takes them in his, his lips pressing a sweet kiss on the backs of my trembling hands. 

"Hey, hey, it's okay," he whispers, his breath grazing my hands. I can't help but shake my head and let the tears fall, his words entering one ear and immediately leaving the other one. I stand up and go to walk away, but stop when he gently places his hand on my shoulder. When I turn around, I stay still as a statue as he removes the locket from around my neck and places it on the small coffee table next to him; the same table that the radio is on, which is now playing a song that I can remember being played in the Gryffindor Common Room at times.

I feel the effects of the locket slowly start to wear off and when Harry holds out his hand, I feel my cheeks lift and my mouth form into a smile. "May I have this dance?" He asks, his voice soft and calm. "You may," I reply, already feeling happier. We walk into the middle of the room and start to move with the music. I wrap my arms around his neck as he places one hand on my cheek and his other on my waist, twirling me around the room as if we were at the Yule Ball or Bill and Fleur's wedding. We dance to this slow song and then some more upbeat ones follow after, to which we continue dancing. 

The room soon fills with laughter and now, all I can see are the happy memories. 

My relationship with Cedric and growing alongside each other, becoming closer every day.

Watching Quidditch matches at school and cheering for Gryffindor when the matches won in our favour.

Spending hours in Hogsmede with friends, whether in winter or in sunshine, laughing with each other until our cheeks hurt.

The good parts of the Quidditch World Cup, where the cheers were so loud I didn't know if I'd be able to hear properly again.

Dancing with both Harry and Draco at the Yule Ball, as snowflakes would fall from the bewitched ceiling and the band would play both romantic and dance songs.

Remembering Cedric and how he lived; he lived a life full of kindness and love.

Learning from Harry in the DA, preparing for the battle that we all knew we would one day have to face, but in a form that we were able to have fun in too.

Dating Harry and becoming his girlfriend, which was when I fully realised that I could feel happy and loved without my brother, who I know is watching over me from high above.

The twins incredible departure from Hogwarts, the incredible fireworks display and the indescribable look on Umbridge's toad-like, ash covered face.

Watching Harry succeed in Potions - even though it was due to an edited book - and Hermione's slight twang of jealously at his success.

Spending Christmas with the Weasley's, where the house was consistently full of laughter, joy and an overwhelming sense of love.

Celebrating birthdays with friends, whether they were in the form of small gatherings or large, flamboyant parties.

Seeing all our individual friendships grow and knowing that no matter what, we will always have each other. 

"I love you, Aurora," Harry whispers in my ear as he squeezes my hand tightly. I smile and lean forward, pressing my lips against his own, which are soft and full of so much love. His lips delicately brush over mine and he runs his hands through my hair, as I hold his face in my hands and we slowly move to the music. After we both pull away, I stroke his cheeks gently and for a moment, I stand still and marvel that somehow in all of this, nothing has weakened the love we share for each other. 

"I love you too, Harry," I reply, beaming at the jet-black haired boy in front of me, who was eagerly smiling back at me.

"You two are cute."

We both spin around to see Hermione standing just in front of the tent entrance, her arms folded and a sad smile on her face. "Sorry Hermione," I reply, knowing that ever since Ron left, she's been feeling quite down and... not unloved, but she's felt that a significant part of love has disappeared with his presence gone.

"It's okay," she insists, waving her hands to dismiss my apology. She walks over and we all embrace her in a warm hug. We all pull away and she holds out her hands, one in front of each of us. "What? I want to dance with you both," she explains, to which Harry and I gladly take her hands and we start to dance again, spinning and twirling around the room like nothing is going on in the outside world.

There's just the three of us, enjoying each other's company and reminding each of us that happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times.