24| Rome

Chapter 24: Rome (Caden's POV)

"Where would you go on your honeymoon?" she asked as she lay on my bed, her stomach down while her legs rocked back and forth in the air with her dress hitched up the slightest. 

"Greece," I answered. 

"Why Greece?" 

"Why not?" I shrugged, my finger tracing patterns on her arm. "What about you?" 

"Probably Rome." 

"Why Rome?" I lifted a brow at her. 

"Cause why not?" she smirked while I chuckled, rolling my eyes. "It's pretty. That's why." 

"So is Greece." 

"You go to Greece with your wife, I'll go to Rome with my husband. That way we won't even bump into each other and have an awkward interaction," she shrugged. 

"And what if... I marry you?" 

She rolled her eyes, "That was a very bad joke." 

"Why? It could happen," I scoffed. 

"In what world? In what universe, Caden?" 

I leaned forward and tilted her chin up, bringing her lips closer to mine. "In this one." 

"But in another life, right?" 

"No," I said, staring her dead in the eyes. "In this one." 

"How?" she asked, now amused but also curious. 

"We could elope." 

"I wouldn't marry someone without my family's blessings," she shook her head, looking down at my bed where she drew circles on the black silk sheets. 

"You really love your family, don't you?" I asked. 

She nodded, lifting her eyes to meet mine. "I do. Don't you?" 

"I love Axel. But my parents aren't like yours," I sighed, leaning back against the headboard. 

She scooted forward and grabbed a pillow, tucking it under her chin. "What do you mean?" 

"I've seen you with your family. You're all really close. Your parents try to understand you and they always support you. My family doesn't work like that." 

"How does your family work?" 

I looked at her, not sure if we should be doing all this. Talking about ourselves, letting our secrets out in front of each other. If we should be getting so attached. 

She raised her brows at me questioningly while elbowing my leg. 

"If Axel and I don't do something according to my parents or if we do anything against what they order and embarrass them, we get in a lot of trouble. Axel is... an angel child. He doesn't do anything they don't allow and when he does, he admits it almost immediately. I'm..." 

"The devil?" she smiled. 

I chuckled, nodding. "I always did the opposite of what they said just to annoy them. And I never apologized for going against them either. And now that I'm older, they gave up a little. They're very strict," I huffed. 

"Is there anything you would do if they let you?" Curiosity flickered in her eyes. 

I nodded. 

"What?" she asked. 

"Marry you," I smirked. 

She rolled her eyes, hitting me with the pillow. 

"Tell me, would your family accept me if I left mine?" I questioned.