Surprises

I could only stare at him, as he leaves his hand in the air. Only after a few seconds once all the other students could see who the new student is he put his hand back down. I felt frozen, like finally knowing the name of my secret crush wasn't going to surprise me.

First he joined my class, now I know his name? All in the span of like 10 seconds? Can I not catch a break today? What do I do now? Do I call him by Ranboo now? What if he didn't tell me his name for a reason- is he uncomfortable now? Why am I over thinking this so much?

Did he prepare for this? Even if he did, he doesn't look too confident. I liked the idea of not knowing his name, him having this whole secrecy to his life. It's like a famous youtuber doing a face reveal and eveyone is just like 'whaaa' and doesn't know what to do with their lives anymore.

He seems just as stressed as me. His eyes scanning every inch of the room, taking in every eye staring at him, looking at all the students who don't seem to care. Sighing in relief once the teacher starts talking in and the attention is finally off of him.

His hands are fidgeting though. He rubs them against his pants before tapping on the desks with his pointer finger. And yet, he gives me a small, but nervous, smile. I could tell that took a lot of courage for him, and I only like him more because of it.

Since the teacher is doing a quick recap of future foods we're going to be making for the rest of the year, I thought it would be better to ask him through notes.

Even though so much of our school work is online, I like to have a decent amount of paper with me. But when I open my binder, I see sticky notes that I packed last minute. That works too.

'I like Mystery Boy better ;)'

I gently place it infront of him, but where the teacher can't see and he notices. He gives me a confused look but reads it anyway. The smile on his face is enough for me to know it was a good response. He takes a pencil and starts writing a response back, just below mine.

'haha thank you, I was worried for a second there'

I slightly frown when reading it, I knew it was a lot on him. I'm just glad he's getting over it and calming down. Just to make sure, I write one more.

'Are you okay though? Just say the word and I'll break whoever's kneecaps you want'

His response was definitely stronger this time by the laugh he let out suddenly. He quickly covers his mouth and breathes before clearing his throat. He whispers a small 'sorry' to whoever can hear, but still have an adorable smile on his face.

'No it's okay, thank you'

I give him one more smile before finally paying attention to class. But I still feel like I can do more to help comfort him. Sure there's the first day of school where every class has a teacher that makes sure we know everyone.

The whole going around in a circle or doing some dumb activity to make friends like children. Then again, we are children, technically. Being under the age of 18 and all. Maybe I can reveal something about me, too.

"Alright, now that we're done with that. We need to," the class phone rings, "hold that thought." My eyes follow the teacher as they walk towards the door where the phone stays.

He mutters into the phone, keeping the conversation private. I've always wondered what teachers talk about in the middle of class, it's like a top secret meeting with how much they hide it.

Ranboo had the same interest and followed along with the teacher- holy cow I just said his name. Awww shit- this doesn't help my feelings. Crap I cursed- dammit. Ahhh okay, mental breakdown here we go- I need to stop.

I still can't believe I know his name now! I can call him from across the hallway and he'll know who I'm talking to and sign him up for after school clubs when I want to get revenge on him for teasing me in class like he always does.

"Are you okay?"
"Hm?"

I hum out of instinct when I think someone is talking to me. Of course it was Ranboo. Why would it be someone else? I give him a confused glance, having no idea what he's talking about.

"You were fine, but then you looked sad, then happy. It was confusing honestly, I was just worried?" He whispers his response as the teacher is finally done with their phone call.

"Uh- yeah. Yep, I'm okay." I smile reassuringly, being actually okay and not lying. At least I think I am, for the most part. Obviously I wouldn't tell him that I think I like him because that is completely irrelevant. Mhm.

"Okay." He says with a smile and the topic is instantly dropped.

~~

Culinary class is finally over and all I could remember was the suspicious phone call and me nearly dying from embarrassment after I read the wrong recipe. Out loud. To the teacher. Who immediately face palmed and sighed dramatically at me but we don't talk about that.

Since that was our last period, we can go home now. Or at least I thought we were before Ranboo pulled me with him.

"Hey Ranboo?"
"Yes?"
"Just curious, but uhm, where are we going?"
"My house."

I swear I choked on air after that response. His house? Why? First off, he didn't ask. Smh. Second- why? Again? Should I be worried? Is he secretly a serial killer and that's why he never told me his name because he was wanted?

Okay that's just stupid. Get your head out of the gutter- okay that was worse.. I need to breathe.

"Wh-.. why?"
"I want to show you something."

He looked back at me and he did he cute little smile and I just couldn't stop him. I have to tell my mom though, or she will actually kill me for being late without notice. She's not like those strict moms who never lets their kids have fun but she needs to know where I am. As parents should.

"I need to call my mom first-"
"Darn, right. Okay, how about.. you wait on my front porch while I get the thing. I need to get it out anyway so then you have time. Cool?"
"Yep."