Chapter 84: Wrong Memories

The two were forced into a spectator view of the scene in front of them. A young boy ran down the stairs, through the hall and into the living room to heed a call.

"Dad!" The father turned around at the call of his name. His son dove into his arms in a hug, making him drop his bag below him.

"(Y/N)!" His father laughed, having not seen his son in a while. "Look how big you've gotten." He admired his son's new height.

"Of course you'd say that. You're always away on business trips." (Y/N) argued. He wished he got to see his dad more often.

"Where are your mother and sister?" His father asked. His answer came as the exclamation from the other two.

"Dad!" The oldest child exclaimed, running over and grabbing onto him like her brother had done. Her hair was straight and brown, reaching down to her shoulders. Three years older than the ten year old (Y/N), she was more mature to say the least.

"Malica!" Her father cuddled her, looking up at her mother who entered the room behind her daughter. "Laurie." He nodded to her.

"Jack." She smiled at the father. He chuckled, standing up properly.

"I wish you didn't have to leave so much." (Y/N) pouted. Jack and Laurie locked eyes for a second, then looked back at their son. His father reached into his bag on the floor.

"I brought you all some gifts from my travel." He announced, holding his hand out to (Y/N). The boy put his own hand under it, feeling something metal drop into it. His dad retracted his hand and watched.

(Y/N) looked down at his hand to see a metal wolf pendant. A chain looping through a wolf head with blue crystals for eyes. It was... perfect.

"Thanks, dad!" He exclaimed, jumping up and down in happiness. The two parents smiled at the sight of their son so happy, then switched their attention to their daughter as a jealous look spread across her face.

"What about me?" Malica asked, looking up at her dad. He reached back into the bag, pulling back what looked like a small statue. He dropped it into the girl's hand and allowed her to examine it. A fox statue that seemed to be made of a hard metallic material. The details and defining shape of the item were beautiful.

"It's beautiful." Malica repeated her own thoughts.

"Wolves kill foxes. Therefore, mine is better." (Y/N) said smugly. The family laughed... all except Malica who narrowed her eyes.

The front door suddenly burst open as multiple shouts accompanied it. The parents looked at each other in terror, nodding and splitting up. Laurie took the children and pulled them into the kitchen, leaving Jack to quickly grab his rifle from above the fireplace.

As footsteps echoed throughout the house, some going upstairs and some spreading out inside, Jack walked out into the hallway with his rifle aimed up. Two masked men stood facing each other, assault rifles in each of their hands as they failed to notice him. Without a second thought, Jack raised his weapon and shot two bullets into each of them, sending them limp to the floor. The house went silent...

Three men suddenly stormed out of the door to the laundry room, aiming up at Jack and forcing him to try back away... But it was too late. Bullets punctured through his chest before he even had a chance to get away. He fell forwards and dropped his rifle with a clatter, remaining still on the ground as blood seeped onto the carpet.

The men motioned to keep moving along with a verbal order in Russian.

In the kitchen Laurie was trying to keep her children quiet, fearing for her husband as she heard the bullets in the hall.