Chapter 86 | drawing stars around scars

-----------------------> LUCIUS SPENT THEIR LAST FEW DAYS IN PERU grovelling at Lyra's feet and composing apologies like they were sonnets

-----------------------> LUCIUS SPENT THEIR LAST FEW DAYS IN PERU grovelling at Lyra's feet and composing apologies like they were sonnets. After Narcissa's ill-fated fire-call which had only served to fuel the embers of Lyra's ire, an oblivious Lucius had ambled into the room in cheers of an important discovery he had helped make in an excavation site, which led him to be interviewed by the most prestigious historical journal in the world. But one look at his fiancée's tilted head, tainted smile and flat eyes had led Lucius' brain to stop functioning and reboot itself.

"What did I do?" He asked, horror lacing his tone.

Lyra arched an unimpressed brow and continued to practise suturing on meat.

A chill gripped Lucius at her silence. One of his father's words of wisdom had been to stay silent when you were mad, simply because people don't expect it. They expect words, motion, defence, offence, back and forth; leaps into the fray and a war of words. They are ready, fists up, words hanging leaping from their mouths. Silence? No.

"Is it because I interrupted you when you were telling me about your day?" Lucius asked, gaining a hysterical edge to his tone as his mind whirled for reasons to grasp. When Lucius didn't receive a response, he probed further. "Is it because you had to visit the Ministry to get our documents for Malaysia? I know you told me to do it and I forgot, but you must understand, love, that just earlier that day, there was this—" Lucius' mouth shut with an audible clank.

When he opened his mouth, no sound came out. He looked back at Lyra, who had waved a hand in his direction to silence him, and pouted. He was rewarded with a scorching glare for his efforts. And because Lucius valued his life—his life with Lyra—he didn't push further.

That day, that is.

"Are you mad at me because I stepped on one of your snakes?" Lucius asked her over breakfast the next day. "In my defence, I thought it was a scarf the first time." He paused, his eyes widening as he rushed to say, "Not that I would step on your scarf or anything, or that I would step on your snakes more than once—if they told you I did, they are lying. In fact, I didn't even see your snake until I stepped on it. And why even would it be right in front of the front door? Not that I'm blaming your snake. Your snake is very nice, please don't ask it to bite me."

Lyra gave him a deadpanning stare, and Lucius translated that as asking for a change in the topic rather than you're digging your grave, stop talking.

"If it's about that time I switched your toothpaste for my hair gel, it was a prank, Lyra. I was trying to please my future in-laws. How was I supposed to know you would use it while babysitting one of your friend's sons? I'm not a seer, and besides, did you think I liked using my hair gel for non-hair purposes? Of course not, but I have to have the approval of your brothers."

"Love?"

His shoulders slumped with relief that she was talking with him again. "Yes, life?"

"You're adorable," Lyra stated like it was a fact. "But if you continue talking, I'm going to very gently tap a knife directly into your vital organs."