Chapter 47

Tony’s POV

“I can’t believe the summer is over,” Evie says. “Just like that.”

“It’s crazy, right?” We’re sitting in an open field at the park behind my apartment. The sun is just setting and Evie is leaning on my shoulder.

“Like we’re going to be seniors on Monday.” She closes her eyes. “And soon we’re going to graduate. And go to college. And finish college. And…” She trails off.

“And then what Ev?”

She sits up and looks at me. We’re looking at each other for a moment before she replies. “And then we get jobs and get married, I guess.”

I smile and she does too. “You still wanna live in Seattle?”

“Mmm.” She shrugs. “I wanna live wherever you want to live.”

I pull her in for a hug and she rests her head on my shoulder again. “I don’t mind Seattle,” I start. “But I wanna stay close to Emily, at least til she starts college. And I know you wanna stay close to Donny, right?”

“Yeah. I just wanna make sure he’s on his own two feet before I start my life. I need to make sure he gets out of East Side and is able to care for himself.”

“That’s definitely important,” I agree. “Guess it’s just one step at a time then, huh?”

“Yeah,” Evie sighs.

“I got you something,” I say after a moment.

Evie sits up. “I thought we agreed no gifts babe. Not until our anniversary in October.”

“I know but…” I smile innocently. “I had to.” I reach into the picnic basket and pull out a small kit from Bath and Body Works.

“Oh Tony!” Evie’s eyes light up and she reaches for the gift out of my hands. She opens the bubble bath and puts it to her nose. “This smells delicious.”

“Yeah. It’s lavender and chamomile.”

Evie looks at me suspiciously.

“What?” I ask.

“How’d you know I liked the smell of lavender and chamomile? You have your romantic moments but you’re not the kind of boyfriend that goes to buy gifts at Bath and Body Works.”

“I’m slightly insulted.” I lie my hand over my heart.

“Cry me a river Tony.” She goes back to staring at me. “Well, are you gonna answer my question?”

“Slow down there, bossypants.” I stick my tongue at her. “I actually didn’t know that you liked that scent. When my mom and I took Emily back to school shopping last week, we wandered into Bath and Body Works. I thought about you since you like that kind of stuff.

“This sales lady came up to us, asked us if we were looking for anything special. I told her that I had a girlfriend who was pretty stressed out over college apps and she said that the lavender and chamomile scent was a relaxing one. So… I bought it. I bought the bubble bath, the essential oil and the body butter. Hopefully it’ll help you relax.”

“I don’t know whether to roll my eyes or thank you.”

“You could just kiss me.” I shrug. “Then we can call it even.”

Evie crawls into my lap and kisses me once, twice and once again.

“Thank you,” she finally says. “Andd… she reaches into her back pocket and pulls out an envelope. “I got something for you too.”

“No gifts my butt.” I laugh at her and take the envelope. It’s folded in half so I unfold it and see my name written on the front. “Should I open it now?”

“Umm.. yes?”

“So much attitude.” Evie doesn’t respond but instead waits for me to open the letter.

I open it and start reading:

Antonio

I don’t even know where to begin. We’ve—

“Read it outloud,” Evie smiles.

“Antonio,” I start over. “I don’t even know where to begin.  I guess I’ll start by saying that I love you. Hopefully you already know that but I’m going to say it every day, until I die.

“I’m writing this because you I knew you were going to give me a gift on our picnic and I didn’t want to come empty handed.” I pause. “How’d you know?”

“Emily told me.” Evie smiles weakly. “When I babysat her the other day.”

“Aye.” I shake my head and continue reading. “I think about you everyday and I can’t imagine a day without you. You start at Charleston soon and my biggest fear is that you already attending college will drive a wedge in our relationship.” I stop reading and look over at Evie. “That’s not going to happen babe.” I take her hand and read on.

“Over the next year, I hope that we only grow closer. Please promise me that if anything ever comes between us, we’ll solve it right away and not allow it to affect us. I love you and I could never survive without you. I also know you’re going to do amazing at Charleston and I’ll be with you every step of the way. Love, Evie.”

I pull her into my lap when I’m done reading and kiss her ears. “This is beautiful Ev. And I promise you that nothing is going to change between us. I’ve only lived 17 years but you’re the love of my life and I’m not letting you go, okay?”

“Okay.” Evie leans back into my chest and we gaze at the sky until t gets dark. Then we head home.