a hard time

It was almost night, but Kangmin and Dongheon were still practicing in the practice room. The other members had all left for the dorm, but Kangmin wasn’t able to get the choreography right and Dongheon had decided to help the youngest, knowing that Kangmin wasn’t the best at dancing. Now, however, an hour into the extra practice, the leader was getting increasingly frustrated. Kangmin was often slow and in a daze, and couldn’t get the choreography right after many attempts even with his guidance.

He just couldn’t be silent anymore. “Kangmin-ah, why can’t you get the dance right?” he complained with an annoyed huff. “You keep spacing out, and I told you to bend lower during the second verse, but you seem to always forget. You know you’re not very good at dancing, so please concentrate while practicing, or else you’ll bring the whole group down. I’m even helping you now.”

“I know, hyung. I’m sorry,” Kangmin apologized softly. “I’ll try harder.” He got up to go over the choreography once again, but still failed. At this point, even he himself was getting frustrated.

“Why can’t I get it right?” he sat down and pulled at his hair in exasperation. Tears brimmed his eyes and he quickly blinked them away, but Dongheon already saw the tears and immediately felt bad for pressuring him even when he’s already trying his best. Kangmin’s haggard breathing filled the air as the older one brought him into a hug, and Kangmin melted into his embrace, glad of the comfort. He really, really needed some comfort right then.

“I’m sorry for scolding you,” Dongheon whispered with a hint of regret, letting Kangmin’s body rest loosely against his. “You’re trying your hardest already. I shouldn’t have pushed you so much.”

“No, hyung,” Kangmin breathed out, sniffling a little. “I wasn’t paying enough attention, so it’s actually really my fault-” He abruptly stopped and buried his head deeper into his leader’s chest, groaning in pain. His hand which was previously on his lap clenched into a tight fist.

“What’s wrong, Kangmin?” asked an alarmed Dongheon, who hugged the younger one closer to him. His voice was full of concern.

“Head… h-hurts,” he managed to whisper, his face scrunched up in pain. “I didn’t sleep well for a few nights already…” Dongheon’s hand found Kangmin’s and he patted it soothingly in an attempt to console the youngest.

“Then why didn’t you just stay home and rest? You’ll fall ill if you continue to push yourself.” Dongheon rubbed circles on Kangmin’s back as he spoke, and Kangmin said his reply in such a low tone that his even his sharp ears strained to make it out.

“I want to be as good as you, hyung,” was the reply. Dongheon looked at Kangmin’s face, which was beet red with embarrassment, and smiled.

“But your hyung rests when he needs to rest, and you doesn’t,” he teased. “So let’s go back now, and promise me to never do this again. You’ll worry your hyungs!” He got up from the floor and pulled Kangmin up gently, and let him lean on him as they moved through the building, towards the car to drive back to the dorm where Kangmin can finally take a well-deserved nap.