𝐭𝐰𝐨.

CHAPTER TWO

love and friendship

"COME ON BETTY!" Remus yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

Because she hadn't gone out since her mom died, with the exception of the funeral, she wanted to make it extra special. So, Elizabeth Lupin was up at 7am that morning taking a shower and doing a face mask. She did every self-care routine that she knew how to do because, for her, this was a momentous occasion.

"Fuck! I'm coming!" she yelled as she stomped down the stairs.

She was wearing brown corduroy flare pants with a cream button down that was embroidered with flowers and white ankle boots.

"Language, young lady!" Lyall scolded from the table.

"Sorry," she grumbled. "But, in my defense, I do now live in a house with only men, so that allows me room to express my frustrations."

"Not every moment has to be a feminist moment, sweetheart, as not everyone's a feminist," Lyall tutted, not looking up from the Daily Prophet. 

"Don't be misogynistic, dad, it's not a good color on you and it's 1977, of course everyone's a feminist," Betty shot back.

"And this feminist is ready," Remus exclaimed. "Are you, fellow feminist, ready?"

"You bet ya!" Betty exclaimed as she took Remus's hand. 

He apparted them to Diagon Alley. He stayed with her as she searched for her friends ( because she knew they'd be there ). She finally spotted them sitting together at a table in front of Florean Forestcue's. Because Alice was in their year at Hogwarts and they were pretty good friends with her, Florean always gave them free ice cream.

"There's them," Betty breathed out as she stared at the group of girls.

"You'll be off then?" Remus asked, looking at her. "Unless if you want to go back home. There's no shame in it." 

"I know," she replied. "I just- this is something I have to do."

"It's not," Remus reminded her. "You've had a lot going on for you these past couple of months. It's understandable that you'd want to be in a controlled space, especially because you weren't particularly social before."

"I just- I want to try," she eventually said.

"I'm only an owl or a floo away," he reminded her. 

Betty smiled gratefully and kissed his cheek before walking towards the girls. As she approached, she heard them talking and when she heard her name, she hid and listened.