Chapter 108 - Emma

Sleep that night was restless, and I kept tossing and turning. My confusing thoughts and feelings started plaguing my dreams; of them leaving me, of them staying, of us never being happy together because I couldn't be what they needed.

I woke up with bags under my eyes, and I had to use my precious under-eye masks that were expensive as heck but did wonder. Well, expensive for me at least.

The day at work went by slowly. It wasn't boring or anything. Kevin talked non-stop when he had the time and got me laughing quite a few times. But, when he was busy, all I could do was overthink. How come I could feel so much after only a couple of weeks? It didn't make any sense. Did it? Could feelings like this grow so fast?

Five minutes at work seemed like twenty minutes. My tasks weren't hard enough to crave too much focus from me. Meaning I had plenty of time to think. I looked forward to being with Gideon, knowing he'd take up every space in my mind, and I could finally have some peace and quiet.

"I think your other boyfriend is here," Kevin teased as he nodded towards the window. "That's Gideon, right? Damn," he whistled, "he's just as big as you described. That man looks scary."

The man in question was leaning against the hood of his car, smoking a cigarette. Huh, I didn't know he smoked.

"He's not my boyfriend," I bit out, a little more defensive than I should've been. Kevin looked at me with curiosity, his brows almost touching his hairline.

"It was a joke. You know, since he introduced himself to your mother as your boyfriend, remember? What's going on with you? Are you okay? Do I need to beat them up? I mean, I doubt I'd get a punch in, but I can definitely try," Kevin joked, but only partly. I knew he would defend me if I needed it.

So, he wasn't just curious but also worried.

"There's no need for that. I'm fine, I just...I have something going on that I need to figure out. I do enjoy being with them, so it's not that," I assured Kevin. I didn't want him to think they were treating me poorly. They were treating me too good, and that was the problem. How could I not have feelings for them when they took such good care of me?

Sighing, I slung my bag over my shoulder. I'd already changed my clothes, wanting to be ready when Gideon came to get me.

"You know I'm here if you ever want to talk, right?"

"Yeah, I know that." I smiled at him, feeling insanely lucky to have him. True friends were rare, but if you had one, it was for life. Giving him a quick kiss on his cheek, I said my goodbyes and went outside to meet Gideon.

He'd gotten rid of the cigarette by the time I got out, but I didn't know if it was because he didn't want me to see him smoke or because he was already done with it. I guessed the latter though; he didn't seem like a man who cared about others' opinions.

Gideon was dressed in a black double-breasted suit and looked as handsome—and dangerous—as ever. He looked like a beautiful criminal with his body mass and tattoos, and gosh if that didn't make my panties wet. It turned me on that he could cause a lot of damage, but knowing he'd never hurt me like that.

His dark hair was lazily styled, and I wanted to run my fingers through the short strands. He'd never allow me, which was probably why I wanted to.

I met his eyes head-on as I walked up to him. His eyes were so dark and so intense it made me want to look away, but I didn't.

The corner of his lips twitched, and I didn't know if it was because he wanted to smile or scowl. Probably scowl, that seemed to be his go-to.

As I opened my mouth to say something, he turned around and stalked to the passenger door, opening it up.

Guess he wasn't in a talkative mood.

As with every time he drove me anywhere, we spent it in silence. It never felt oppressive, and after a long day at the café with constant chatter, it was relaxing. That being said, I found myself looking at him when I thought he wouldn't notice. My body was completely attuned to his every move; even the smallest thing, like him changing the gear, made heat pool between my legs. It was almost embarrassing how much his presence affected me. How much anyone of theirs did.

Did I affect them in the same way? I had a terrible poker face, but these men? It was impossible to get a read on them, and especially Gideon.

We drove up to his property, and the sheer size of it would never cease to amaze me. While it was beautiful, it was also terrifying. I grew up in a one-story, three-bedroom house. That was what I was used to. This was way opposite of that.

I didn't think I'd ever feel entirely comfortable in a place like this. Even when I found it gorgeous, it was too far from what I'd known. I actually liked a home to be small, with just enough space for everything I needed. The thought of living here made my skin itch. It was too big and had too much space for me to feel at ease.

Gideon stepped out of the car and walked around to open the door for me. I hadn't gotten used to how these men opened the door for me yet, and it always felt strange to wait around in the car until they let me out.

"Thank you," I murmured, and when I finally said something, I found I had more to say. "So, what are we going to do today?" I hoped he remembered his promise. I'd looked forward to being in the kitchen with him ever since I'd asked about it, and he'd agreed. I wanted to get to know him more and figured doing something he loved might help with that.

"Cooking," he grunted and walked up the stairs to the front door. I followed behind him with a grin on my face.

We went straight to the kitchen, and I was breathing heavily by the time we got there. I really needed to start working out. It looked like Gideon wanted to smile when he noticed my tired condition, but of course, he didn't because this man had severe issues with smiling. My long-term goal was officially to get a real smile out of him, but I needed to be patient.

Taking off his jacket and rolled up the sleeves, he started collecting the things we would need. It was so damn sexy to see him doing something so domestic. Oh my, he was even putting on an apron. Be still my pulsing clit.

"Here," he offered up another one to me. It was black, like his, but much smaller. Had he bought it for just this occasion, or did this belong to someone else?

I put it on, and while he'd perfected the whole tying the ropes behind him, I only managed a loose knot. Apparently, it wasn't good enough for him.

"Turn around," he ordered, and my body listened to his command immediately, like he had more control of it than I did myself.

Gideon undid my own knot and redid it even better. He was quick, too quick. That tiny touch from him when his knuckles came in contact with my back had me wishing for more.

"Wash your hands, and we'll get started," he directed me. He'd already done it.

As I scrubbed my hands clean, I looked at the items he'd brought out. I saw different kinds of veggies, chicken filet, and noodles.

"What are we making?" I asked.

"Stir fry."

That was it. One to two words wasn't enough, not when I wanted so desperately to get to know him. Today, I'd make it my mission to get him to talk.