10

CHAPTER X:

❄︎ THE PARTY ❄︎

"At first, I tried to forget, but it didn't work"
___________

"Hey," Riven greeted me as he took the seat across from me. "So, uh, why didn't you tell them the truth?"

I sighed and was about to get up, but he grabbed my wrist, stopping me. I pulled away saying, "Isn't it obvious? I feel like I've just made some friends, but... I didn't tell you the whole story, Riven, okay? I-I killed someone."

Riven looked too stunned to speak. He tried saying something, but no words came out of his mouth.

"When my boyfriend died, I lost control... I wanted to hurt the girl who killed him. I was so full of rage that an icicle plunged into the heart of his ex... And at that moment, I was happy to see the light disappear from her eyes.

"Then Dowling found me. She made the killing look like a suicide. People remembered her as the girl who struggled with depression and killed her lover and herself. A real Romeo and Juliet situation.

"I got over it in time, but when we found the massacre, a tree branch had impaled one of the guards. I couldn't... move, and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

"You can't say anything, Riven," I pleaded. "Please, I just can't deal with it right now."

He was gonna say something, but there was a loud voice saying, "Get off me you massive pedo!" Beatrix turned away from Callum and walked over to us.

"What was that about?" Riven asked.

"That assistant won't stop bothering me," Beatrix said with a sigh, and she looked at me. "I should style you for tonight."

"Tonight?" I questioned.

"The party? The Senior Specialist party?" Beatrix said, and she looked back at Riven. "Did you not tell your girlfriend about the party?"

I rolled my eyes saying, "He's not my boyfriend."

"Please," Beatrix said. "I can sense it even when you pass each other in the hall. Don't need to be a Mind Fairy to tell."

"Seriously, read the room, Bea," Riven told her. "Look, my best friends are in a mood, especially with Silva injured."

"Oh, right," Beatrix remembered. "Is he okay?"

"I hate it," I answered truthfully. "He says he has confidence that the battalion will kill it, but he's accepting that he'll die soon."

"Did he say anything about where it is?" Riven asked.

"Forty kilometers north of here," I answered. "I think I should go."

"Hello?" said Beatrix. "I'm not trying to sound insensitive, but there's a party. Come on. Don't want to miss it."

"Last time I was at a party, it was not good," I reminded her. "I almost threw icicles at Eva, remember?"

"Everyone's gonna be having fun," she said, pouting. "Let me give you a makeover so we can have fun and maybe hook up with a guy or two?"

I looked at her outfit of the day, debating it. She did have a cool style whereas I was wearing rather plain clothes.

Maybe I needed a break. A new look might be worth the try.

"Okay, fine," I said. "I'll hold off on the hunt for one night."

"Good," Beatrix smiled, taking the apple from my plate.