chapter 23

"WHAT'S THAT?" SIL whispered, staring intently at her shin

She followed his gaze even though she didn't need to see what he was talking about. It wasn't that noticeable unless you pay attention but she guessed it caught his eye.

"It's nothing. I just dripped some hot water down by accident." She mumbled, lightly rubbing the softer than the rest skin, tracing the line that went from her mid-shin to her ankle.

"Ouch," Sil muttered but stayed quiet after that.

They were currently sitting in Sil's room on his floor while some random movie was being played on his laptop which neither of them was paying attention to. Sil had immediately plucked her from her room and had advised staying with him for the night. She knew it was because he sensed her reluctance to be left alone.

She appreciated his efforts.

It had been half an hour since then and they both were waiting for the other to bring the topic up, neither of them aware of how they were going to react.

She finally did bring it up.

"How did you know how to deal with.. you know, that?" Zara waved her hand vaguely, referring to her whole panic attack episode.

Sil's eyes softened as he stared at her pinched expression, her gaze firmly fixed on the screen, refusing to make eye contact and risk getting stupidly emotional. He understood her.

"Uh, after you mentioned having one in the cafeteria if we made you eat with us," He started hesitantly, sheepishly rubbing his neck,"I kinda got worried. So I researched just to be on the safer side. You know, if it ever comes to that then I should know what to do." He admitted.

Her heart warmed and her soul sang. She felt all fuzzy knowing he cared enough to do that. That he was her brother and he took that responsibility when he was under no obligation to do so.

"Thank you." She whispered, meaning it,"And also I am sorry-"

He immediately cut her off,"You don't need to be sorry. I am glad I was there to help you. Don't you ever feel sorry for something you couldn't have helped." He lectured.

Zara nodded, her hands clutching the blanket she was wearing as a cape, much like Sil. She didn't completely believe him but she wasn't going to burden him with her problems.

Silence fell between them once again and she pulled her bare knees up to her chest, her having gone to sleep in some shorts and an old sweatshirt. They both focused their gaze on the screen again but neither were paying any attention this time as well.

And Zara knew what was to come.

Sil sighed a moment later,"Zara, I know you know what I am gonna ask. Let's not ignore the obvious elephant in the room any longer."

"That's such a stupid saying." She commented.

"Uh-huh." He tsked,"This might've worked during daytime but not right now. Don't try to change the subject."