Chapter 214: Suspicious offer

Koneko and Erin got taken to an indoor garden located on the higher floor of the castle. It’s an enclosed place where there isn’t a single window and the only thing they can see and hear is the artificial light, the variety of flowers, and the peaceful water flowing by.

There is a table located in the center of the garden in which Rias, Gasper, and Valerie are already sitting. Koneko and Erin sit on the unused chairs after the maid allowed them to come in.

The Goddess glanced to the side and saw Crom Cruach, who is leaning his back on the wall. After he takes a single glance at the newcomers silently, he closes his eyes right away.

“That person over there is my bodyguard. His name is Crom Cruach-san.” Valerie chuckled lowly.

A cup is placed in front of the Goddess and Valerie pours the tea for her.

“I had Rias-sama tell me about the lifestyle Gasper had in Japan. I hear that Japan is a very peaceful country, Vermillion Erin-san.” Valerie finished with a smile.

“Yes. Japan has many delicious foods and entertainment, Valerie……I mean your highness.”

Valerie chuckles as if she’s finding it funny.

“You don’t have to speak to me so politely, Vermillion Erin-san. I’m also asking Rias-sama to talk to me casually as well. Please call me Valerie.”

“Yes, you should do as she asked, Erin.”

Erin made a small nod towards Rias before responding.

“Yes, I understand, Valerie.”

“Ufufu, thank you.”

Though Valerie is speaking cheerfully, her smile had shadows in them where she looks empty. It is painful to look at and the members can only imagine what kind of environment she has been living in.

“Toujou Koneko-san, you know many delicious sweets, correct? What kind
of sweets are there in Japan?”

“Well, the ones I like are—”

The conversation drifted to casual topics. The daily lifestyle is something new and interesting for Valerie, so she asks the members many questions due to the interest she has.

“I see. The reason why Gasper dresses like a girl is because I played with him by making him wear it when we were little. He was against it in the beginning, but he suddenly started wearing them on his own……ufufu♪”

“G-Geez! Valerie, you can’t tell them that!”

“Oh yes, did you fix your habit where you can’t go to sleep without holding a doll?”

“T-That……”

“Ufufu, I guess not. That's just like Gasper.”

Both of their behaviors are something which puts them at peace. Gasper is also talking without holding back.

“How lucky. I also want to eat cakes in Japan. I’m sure they have a sacred taste in them. I prefer sweets over blood. Human blood must taste thicker, ufufu.”

Valerie is showing a similar response to a normal girl. However—at times she talks to places where there is no one present.

“Yes. ……——I know.... However, that is……”

Koneko whispers to the Goddess.

“There is a negative spiral of ki in the direction Valerie-san is talking towards. You won’t be able to see them with your eyes but even I can sense it due to its presence.”