17"

"Hey pads" James said picking up an envelope off Sirius' Kitchen counter from his apartment in Muggle London, "what's this"

Sirius turned around to James to see what he was on about.

"A wedding invite" Sirius replied darkly

"A wedding invite? Who's getting married?" James asked opening it up

"My Brother and Ze-"

"-Zenevieva..." James finished scanning the writing within, "a-are you going?" He asked holding the envelope unusually tight

"To a death eater wedding? You must be joking" Sirius scoffed

"They're really getting married?" Questioned quietly once again, his eyes still trained onto the writing.

Sirius sighed sitting down beside him, "Prongs mate, it's been years. You're married yourself and you've got a baby coming and-"

"I know Sirius! I know" James sighed running a hand down his face, "...I know okay"

"I know you do. But it's been a long time James, you cannot keep second guessing your past decisions. It's like torture"

James nodded placing the invite down on the table

"You love Lily" Sirius started, "everyone knows that, I know that, you know that, Lily knows that. But every person that you love, you love a little differently. No love is the same, and that's okay. Because when you love someone you'll always love them, you never truly forget them"

"But I love Lily" James interrupted

"You do. You love Lily the most. But you can also love other people. It's not a singular thing"

"Is it selfish for me to want her to not marry him?"

"Extremely"

"You're not going to your own brothers wedding?" James asked looking to Sirius

"No, it'll be full of death eaters and I'd rather not die. Mother will supposedly be there as well and I refuse to be anywhere near that wretched woman. I bet she's over the moon with their engagement. I wouldn't be surprised if she organised the whole thing" Sirius sneered

"I always thought Zenevieva and Regulus would be different you know" James sighed

"I hoped Regulus would see the light. But it never came" Sirius shook his head

"It's just Zene always spoke about not wanting to be bad so for her to become a death eater..."

"I always did say she was one of them" Sirius hummed, "they were Slytherins after all. You were just too infatuated to see it"

Flashback
End of 5th Year

"And so I was thinking-... James? James?!" Sirius shouted in James' face, waving his hand trying to get his attention

"What's he looking at?" Peter asked confusedly

"The Slytherin table" Remus answered as the other boys swivelled on their seats from the Gryffindor table.

Sure enough James wasn't paying attention but more gazing at a certain Slytherin girl.
He shook his head, bringing himself back into reality.

"Who is she?" He asked

"Dunno, but I've seen her around" Remus shrugged

"I do" Sirius started, "Zenevieva Gaunt"

"Gaunt?!" Peter squeaked as Sirius nodded

"I've seen her at a few pure blood balls. We've never been introduced though. She's always on her own, never with any family or anything. She keeps herself to herself usually"

"Interesting" James mumbled not looking away, "who's she friends with?"

"Not many people I don't think" Remus answered, "she sits alone in Potions from what I've seen"

"We have potions with her?!" James asked, his attention snapping to Remus, "since when?"

"Since third year" Remus snickered, "you've just never noticed before, you're too busy shouting at Snape and Lily"

Sirius and Peter sniggered quietly into their hands at James' gobsmacked face.

"Well, next potions I'll sit with her. It must be terribly boring listening to old sluggy ramble on without anyone to talk to" James hummed as he bit into an apple

"What?! But I'm your potions partner!" Sirius whined

"She just seemed to out of place at the Slytherin table" James shrugged, twirling his wand in his hands, "I would of never of guessed she'd end up like them"

"That's just how life is mate" Sirius sighed