𝐹𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑆𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑒𝑠

After practice ends and you finish cleaning up the gym with the rest of the group, you make your way over to your bag. As you sling it over your shoulder you notice Kai standing before you.

"Hey!" you cheerfully call to him.

"Hey," he replies as he picks up his own bag, "you wanna go out and grab some lunch?"

"Oh, Uhh..."

You look past Kai and notice Kenma staring over in your direction. The second the two of you make eye contact, his eyes narrow. Kenma then looks away and walks towards Kuroo in a huff.

You remind yourself that Kenma left you last night. The one who stayed wasn't Kenma... it was Kai.

"Yeah definitely," you finally respond as you look back to the man before you, "I'll meet you in an hour outside my building again sound good?"

"You got it," Kai says before turning towards the exit.

After watching him leave and debate whether you made the right decision or not, you remind yourself that you decided to get lunch, not go out on a date so there's nothing wrong with it.

Once you get to your room you quickly shower and change your clothes. With plenty of time to spare, you decided to spend a bit of time scrolling through social media.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

That was quick. It's kinda early for Kai-chan and we decided to meet outside, but whatever.

You hop off your bed and make your way over to your door. Instead of seeing the tall vice-captain in front of you, your eyes are met with Kenma's.

"K-Kenma? What are you doing?" you ask as you stare at him in shock.

"I'd like to ask you the same thing," he replies in his typical bored tone.

"Well, I was about to leave and go out with Kai..."

You trail off as you watch the aura around Kenma darken. Quickly he bursts past you, letting himself into the room.

"Where's Shiro?" he groans.

"Why?" you question as you turn around, "When did you start hanging out with her?"

"Recently," he remarks as if it's none of your business, "but it doesn't matter. I just wanted to know where she is since I came here for her."

As Kenma's words hit, you can't help but feel shocked and a bit hurt. As the words continue to sting, you try your best to not let it show.

"Probably, uh, in the library or with her friend," you reply as you give him a fake smile.

You hear Kenma growl as he walks up to you. His eyes linger on your lips for a moment as he watches your small grin fade away. The second it's gone from your face he turns his gaze back to your eyes.

"I'm going to find her," he growls as he storms out of the room

Once again you are left feeling confused. How could Kenma come here and continue to hurt you? What is going on between him and Shiro? Although you knew it was probably all in your head, you couldn't help but let the thoughts eat away at your brain.

What's wrong with me? Why couldn't I have just dealt with that date like a normal person? I could have been with him by now if I wasn't so stupid!

Finally fully acknowledging that you do have feelings for Kenma, you leave your room hurt and upset. You don't want to think about him any longer even though he was all that occupied your brain.

Whatever. Stupid fucking Kenma.

After storming your way downstairs, you wait outside your building for Kai.

"Y/N!" you hear someone call from behind.

Turning around you see Fukunaga approaching you.

"Oh hey," you wave as he walks over.

"What are you doing out here?" he asks as he looks around.

"I'm, uh, waiting for Kai-chan. The two of us were gonna go out..."

"Ehh? You're going out with Kai now? I thought-"

"Ah no, no, not like that! We're just getting lunch as friends that's all!" you tell him.

"Really?"

You nod and explain to Fukunaga about what happened last night and this morning with practice. He replies saying that he thinks most of the team got the wrong impression that morning but he'll let them know what you said.

"Thanks," you say as a wave of relief rushes over your face.

Maybe Kenma got the wrong idea, too...

"No problem," he replies as he fixes his backpack on his shoulder, "hey if you ever wanna get lunch with me some time too I'll gladly join ya!"

Fukunaga flashes you a big smile even though he's anxiously awaiting your answer.

"For sure," you giggle, "I'd like that. The two of us haven't really gotten to hang out yet."

"Mhm," he hums as he nods, "buuut it's okay. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait."

The two of you chat for a little while longer until Fukunaga expresses that he's got to go to the library and study. After saying goodbye, you watch as his figure fades. 

At the same time, you notice Kai walking towards you. You observe as the two teammates chat for a moment before walking in different directions.

"Ready to go?" Kai asks once he gets near you.

"Yup," you nod, trying to keep thoughts about Kenma and Fukunaga out of your mind.

You reach your hand towards Kai's and put it in your own.

"Let's go then," he smiles before guiding you across campus.

"So Fukunaga, huh?" he teases as the two of you make your way down a street.

"I was surprised to see him," you shrug, "I haven't gotten to talk to him much but he seems super nice."

"I don't disagree," Kai chuckles, "he's one of my closest friends on the team but maybe don't tell him I said that."

"My lips are sealed."

Once you finally reach your destination, Kai opens the door and allows you inside first.

"Thanks," you say with a small smile as you walk in.

God, please don't let this be a date.