―vi. luke has major daddy issues

NAOMI WOKE TO A SHIP'S WHISTLE and a voice on the intercom—a guy with an Australian accent and too-happy tone.

"Good morning, passengers! We'll be at sea all day today. Excellent weather for the poolside mambo party! Don't forget million-dollar bingo in the Kraken Lounge at one o'clock, and for our special guests, disemboweling practice on the Promenade!"

Naomi blinked, turning her head to look at an awake Annabeth, who was staring at the ceiling with a half-confused, half-angry expression.

"Did he say... disemboweling practice?" Naomi asked.

"I think so."

Once all of the questers were all dressed, they ventured out into the ship and were surprised to see other people. A dozen senior citizens were heading to breakfast. A dad was taking his kids to the pool for a morning swim. Crew members in crisp white uniforms strolled the deck, tipping their hats to the passengers.

Nobody asked who the four unaccompanied minors were. Nobody paid them any attention, really. But there was definitely something wrong.

As a family of swimmers passed, the dad told his kids, "We are on a cruise. We are having fun."

"Yes," his three kids said in unison, their expressions blank. "We are having a blast. We will swim in the pool."

They wandered off.

"Good morning," a crew member greeted the questers. His eyes were glazed over like he was sleepwalking. "We are all enjoying ourselves aboard the Princess Andromeda. Have a nice day." He drifted away.

"I'm officially freaked out," Naomi whispered. "What's going on?"

"They're all in some kind of trance," Annabeth whispered.

Then they passed a cafeteria and saw their first monster. It was a hellhound, her front paws on the buffet counter and her muzzle buried in the scrambled eggs. She must've been young, because she was small compared to most—no bigger than a grizzly bear.

The weird thing was, a middle-aged couple was standing in the buffet queue right behind the hellhound, patiently waiting their turn for the eggs. They didn't seem to think anything was amiss.

"Not hungry anymore," Tyson murmured.

Before anyone could reply, a reptilian voice came from down the hall, "Ssssix more joined yesssterday."

Annabeth gestured frantically toward the nearest hiding place—the women's room—and all four of them ducked inside.

Something—two somethings, from the sounds of it—slithered past the restroom door, making sounds like sandpaper against carpet.

"Yesss," a second reptilian voice said. "He drawssss them. Ssssoon we will be sssstrong."

The things slithered into the cafeteria with a cold hissing that might have been laughter.

"We have to get out of here," Annabeth said.

"You think I want to be in the girls' restroom?" Percy asked.

"I mean the ship, Percy! We have to get off the ship."

"Smells bad," Tyson agreed. "And dogs eat all the eggs. Annabeth is right. We must leave the restroom and ship."

Then there was another voice outside—one that was more frightening than any monster's.

"—only a matter of time. Don't push me, Agrius!"

It was Luke—there was no doubt about it. Naomi could never forget his voice.

"I'm not pushing you!" another guy growled. His voice was deeper and even angrier than Luke's. "I'm just saying, if this gamble doesn't pay off—"